Manila airport baggage problem

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Groan ,I'm flying into terminal 3 I'm march , I have an 8 hour layover , if it's possible I'll try to stay in the international lounge before I fly down to Davao

I will update on my experience

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The problem as I see it is that the lounge are all airside so not available if you are changing terminals. Later in the year I'm flying into Lima arriving at 22.30, my flight to Cuzco is 08.00, planes can only get in in the morning. Both the international lounges are airside so can't use the international and can't us the domestic lounge until checkin two hours before the flight, so have to bunk down in the public area for 5-6 hours. Manila is no different if you land at NAIA and have to cross to one of the other terminals.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The problem as I see it is that the lounge are all airside so not available if you are changing terminals

Are you talking of a specific airport where the lounges are all airside? 

I know there is a Plaza Lounge in HKIA that is not inside the secure area.  I use it often, but each airport is likely to have a different layout.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

My recent experiences have not been too bad. Terminal 3 has had a makeover and had at least one comfortable coffee shop open 24 hours the last time I had an early flight from there (2016).

As I mentioned a couple of months ago Philippine Airlines  have a transit lounge in Terminal 2 for those using PAL on international flights with a stopover in Manila. This has comfortable armchairs in a room that is well-lit if one wishes to read, a darkened room with loungers for those that wish to sleep and showers. In my case I was also given a voucher for breakfast that could be used in a coffee shop in the departure area.

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Thank goodness ,I've just checked my ticket and I land and exit from terminal 2

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jake said:

Remember the bullet scam at NAIA?  Is the same airport general manager still holding that position?  

Probably got a promotion? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Probably got a promotion? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

No Mike, he got the bums rush, last year when we were there, even the the bag trolley blokes wouldn't take a tip. Might have reverted back to the old ways by now. Change doesn't last long over there. :smile:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Clermont said:

No Mike, he got the bums rush, last year when we were there, even the the bag trolley blokes wouldn't take a tip. Might have reverted back to the old ways by now. Change doesn't last long over there. :smile:

Agree 100%

Old ways die hard especially when it’s easy money.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 22 January 2018 at 4:36 PM, bastonjock said:

Groan ,I'm flying into terminal 3 I'm march , I have an 8 hour layover , if it's possible I'll try to stay in the international lounge before I fly down to Davao

I will update on my experience

I'm curious as to why you are flying in to Manila if your destination is Davao? I have always flown straight to Davao via Singapore from the UK.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

NAIA is your typical Philippine political patronage system. Whoever is in power gets to dole out jobs. It is not a merit system.

One can argue that the same thing happens in the West. The party in power takes over and removes those who were from the previous one. In the Philippines, you can't really fire anyone. All you do is add another bureaucratic layer. This creates chaos and the opportunity for graft.

• Like 4