Foreigners murdered in Philippines

usa32
Posted
Posted

As we just had a recent murder on bohol, of an american 

Has anybody done the research on how many foreigners are living in the Philippines vs. how many were murdered that year?

It would be nice to have an idea of how likely a foreigner is to get killed while living there.

I am sure the murder rate is much higher than a Filipino citizen living there.

But how much higher?

Any numbers out there?

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

USA 32, while you ask about the safety of the PI, why not let us all look at our own country. Sad yes that another foreigner needlessly died in the PI, but it happens to foreigners in every country. We don't know all the facts and probably never will, but saying that, in every country world wide, we have people that scam, pickpockets, house break ins, carjack, the works. PI is no different to the outside world, we just have to be as cautious as we are back home. There's plenty of good reading in this forum about how to minimize risks to foreigners while living in the PI's.

Good luck if you visit the PI's and enjoy yourself, the country is not all doom and gloom. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

usa32
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Clermont said:

USA 32, while you ask about the safety of the PI, why not let us all look at our own country. Sad yes that another foreigner needlessly died in the PI, but it happens to foreigners in every country. We don't know all the facts and probably never will, but saying that, in every country world wide, we have people that scam, pickpockets, house break ins, carjack, the works. PI is no different to the outside world, we just have to be as cautious as we are back home. There's plenty of good reading in this forum about how to minimize risks to foreigners while living in the PI's.

Good luck if you visit the PI's and enjoy yourself, the country is not all doom and gloom. :thumbsup:

I definitely understand, all countries have problems with crime. However, to disregard the increased risk a white foreigner has living in a third world country like the Philippines is not prudent.

While we have lots of crime in the usa. We are not considered rich and therefor a target just because of the color of our skin here. We also are very familiar with our areas and know where the riskier part of towns are. 

In the USA, as well as most first world countries, while people do get away with murder we have a mostly competent court system, that will sentence people to life or death, for homicide. Which acts as a deterrent for some. Most people in the usa, are also not struggling for food, or truly poor, as they are in the Philippines , which makes people desperate and more willing to commit crimes. 

My question was just simply, has anybody ran the numbers, of data that is available to see for example, how many foreigners were living in the Philippines in 2017  vs. how many were murdered?

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

If you want to know it's quite simple, just keep reading the PI news papers online. A foreigners death generally gets a mention if it is homicidal, big news, but it's not a weekly event.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I remember reading some where. Contrary to public opinion the number of foreigners killed in Philippines was exceptionally low per cap compared to sign I large 3 world country tries. Sorry u able recall exactly where I read this.

On this forum alone there is enough good sensible advice by many long standing  expats to assure a good long Innings here.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, usa32 said:

My question was just simply, has anybody ran the numbers, of data that is available to see for example, how many foreigners were living in the Philippines in 2017  vs. how many were murdered?

Your question is unlikely to be answered by an actuary if you are looking on this forum. I don't know that we have any members in that profession.  We do have a lot of people with anecdotal evidence to offer and when you surmise:

4 hours ago, usa32 said:

I am sure the murder rate is much higher than a Filipino citizen living there.

I would have to say I doubt that very much.  Life does not have the meaning here that it may have in other countries.  It is cheap to take a life and the only difference between a foreigner getting murdered and a local getting murdered is the price of the hit.  If that scares you then you are a smart man.  It scares me enough to keep my head down but I shall not run back to my own country due to that fear.  Imagine if I left here to go back to Canada and the first week back I got run over by a bus.  I'd be just as dead.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I cant find any definite answers on this but what I have learned is that South Koreans seem to be most at risk. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, usa32 said:

However, to disregard the increased risk a white foreigner has living in a third world country like the Philippines is not prudent

When you say increased risk, increased as compared to what?  I am curious why you believe there is an increased risk and yet, so far on this this forum, we have not been able to come up with any firm numbers or statistics?  Not a criticism, just looking for clarification. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Reduce your risk further by staying single and poor :whistling:

Not, reduce your risk using common sense and living under the radar.

Philippines is not for everyone, many here have enjoyed countless years by following simale guidelines. 

• Like 4