Foreigners murdered in Philippines

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I think the odds are pretty high that if I go strutting my stuff, acting like a jerk in Southeast San Diego, or go dissing Mexican Americans in Barrio Logan I would most likely get my ass killed. Or if I went flashing my money in the Crenshaw district I would get mugged.

Why would the Philippines be any different 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

The American embassy has (had?) an annual list of Americans who died by any means while in the Philippines - the list includes details on how and where they died..

Then you have to get (someplace, somehow) stats on how many Americans live here.

Filter out the tourists and non-violent deaths on the embassy list and it is easy math.

I did it years ago and found the murder rate for Americans here was about 1/3 of that for the USA (you are three times more likely to be murdered in the USA than here).  Of course there are other factors in the USA murder rate.................

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, Guy F. said:

My wife's relatives in the PI police say trials and convictions happen but they don't appear in the news. I'm skeptical.

It can take 4 or 5 years and maybe more for the trial to take place.  https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2018/01/23/australian-man-four-years-philippines-jail/

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Murder rates per 100k  has the US in 14th place with 14,996 the RP is 23rd with 4947.  you could retire to Guam or Iceland the have 1 But don't try to retire i n Brazil  or India both well over 40K  doesn't pay to be a foreigner there. Source Crime Master crimes against foreigners.  

At least Americans in Guam don't need a visa.      But we are not foreign there.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Murder rates per 100k  has the US in 14th place with 14,996 the RP is 23rd with 4947.  you could retire to Guam or Iceland the have 1 But don't try to retire i n Brazil  or India both well over 40K 

These numbers look bizarre.  They would indicate that in the US  murder rate is 15% of the population, 40% in Brazil?  I am not a math wizard so someone help me out here. :89:

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Murder rates per 100k  has the US in 14th place with 14,996 the RP is 23rd with 4947.  you could retire to Guam or Iceland the have 1 But don't try to retire i n Brazil  or India both well over 40K  doesn't pay to be a foreigner there. Source Crime Master crimes against foreigners.  

At least Americans in Guam don't need a visa.      But we are not foreign there.

This website has the Phils at 6.4/100k and the US at 5/100k. Not what I'd call a large difference.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Mike J said:

These numbers look bizarre.  They would indicate that in the US  murder rate is 15% of the population, 40% in Brazil?  I am not a math wizard so someone help me out here. :89:

Thought was strange too, but is for internationals, guess they don't care for strangers in India and Brazil 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

This website has the Phils at 6.4/100k and the US at 5/100k. Not what I'd call a large difference.

Was same site but must mean per 1000000, dang decimals.  The year that came when I googled was 2010 . 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Clermont said:

USA 32, while you ask about the safety of the PI, why not let us all look at our own country. Sad yes that another foreigner needlessly died in the PI, but it happens to foreigners in every country. We don't know all the facts and probably never will, but saying that, in every country world wide, we have people that scam, pickpockets, house break ins, carjack, the works. PI is no different to the outside world, we just have to be as cautious as we are back home. There's plenty of good reading in this forum about how to minimize risks to foreigners while living in the PI's.

Good luck if you visit the PI's and enjoy yourself, the country is not all doom and gloom. :thumbsup:

Quite right, in the UK there are so many scammers, pick pockets, in fact the full spectrum, so just take care where ever you are !!

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Your question is unlikely to be answered by an actuary if you are looking on this forum. I don't know that we have any members in that profession.  We do have a lot of people with anecdotal evidence to offer and when you surmise:

I would have to say I doubt that very much.  Life does not have the meaning here that it may have in other countries.  It is cheap to take a life and the only difference between a foreigner getting murdered and a local getting murdered is the price of the hit.  If that scares you then you are a smart man.  It scares me enough to keep my head down but I shall not run back to my own country due to that fear.  Imagine if I left here to go back to Canada and the first week back I got run over by a bus.  I'd be just as dead.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you keep your head down & have a good Philippino family round you, you may be safer than if you were in the UK but if you upset people enough you can be killed like a chicken ( a saying my Philippino wife uses). So respect people & take care.