Price comparison public markets

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would be useful to know how different some specific products costs on different public markets.

List it the way: Location, market name (ex: Davao City, Bankerohan Public Market)

And then the prices of the specific products listed below in format: product, price per unit/kg (ex: watermelons 50 php / kg), you can also enter a price range (ex: rice 40 to 45 php / kg).

Edit: added more stuff.

Product list

• Watermelons
  • Baboy parted not whole
  • Tilapia fish
  • Crabs
  • Bananas
  • Mais
  • Malunggay
  • Rice
  • Tulingan fish
  • Pasayan fish
  • Chicken whole
  • Chayote
  • Cucumber
  • Beans
  • Pak Choy
  • Calamansi
  • Oranges
  • Mango
  • Pineapples
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Lemongrass
  • Bamboo
  • Tomatos
  • Ballpepper
  • Chili
  • Potatoes
  • Eggs
  • Tuna fish
Edited by Dr. Shiva
Adding more stuff

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

It would be useful to know how different some specific products costs on different public markets.

You might think so, but the items are different at each location, it seems.  Take Ganador rice for example, when we buy it at the market it is cheaper by a few pesos per kilo but when we buy it at Robinsons my gf says it tastes better.  Perception?  Fake product?  Fresher stock?  Its a boots on the ground decision and numbers are just gonna be numbers

Fish:  Do you want it cut up on a dirty cutting board or sold in a clean supermarket or purchased frozen and imported.  As to price, its supply and demand, if the water is rough today then the price of tuna goes up as there is not as much supply.

Vegetables:  You can buy them at the public market real cheap, or at the organic market for a little more, or go up to the mountains and get them for a song, or buy them in Robinsons very conveniently at outrageous prices.  Then there are the canned and frozen ones.

There are way to many variables to make any kind of reliable list BUT I have done such a thing when I took gigs on Fiverr.  It costs you $5 for each market I go to and list the prices for you. That's $5 via Paypal and I'll do it for you.  Or are you trying to get us to do it for you and save the money?

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

The list was thinked as a comparison. It is for everyone. There are many expats getting their food on the public market. It is interesting to see, how the prices are in different areas. Nobody is forced to check their public markets now. And it is clear that not every product is available on the markets. If someone goes to the market they can list the prices of their bought stuff here. The list here csn also help that expats are not overpaying their stuff.

Supermarkets are a different thing. 

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Prices vary from region to region. In the public market they can vary by stall and by the day. As Dave mentioned,  fish, not just tuna, can vary greatly depending on rainfall and rough seas. Vegetables and fruit  prices change with the harvest, if there is a glut they are cheaper. Sometimes the local stores are cheaper than the public market and can be superior quality, it all depends on who their supplier is. It really is a boots on the ground with personal shopping habits that generally determines what you are likely to spend.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

I heard now several times that a public market in one city or municpality is more expensive than another in a different location. Even inside of the same city it can differ a lot.

It would be still nice to see some current prices around for comparisation with past prices also.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Ill ask our maid who does the shopping,,,,oh wait her English sux:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Perhaps you could provide costs in your area Dr S?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't think Dr S understands how the public market works.  Take rice for example.  I have gone to our very small public market and found at least 5 vendors for the Ganador rice we like.  On that occasion, each vendor has a different price ranging from 49 pesos per kg to 61 pesos per kg for the same product.  Perhaps there is some room for negotiation but it did not seem so as the stall owner sets the price and the employees must charge it (in many cases).  So I could tell you where I got it for 49 pesos except that we went back to that stall 2 days later to find they were now charging 51.  Small difference in numbers but about 4% increase in 2 days.  Don't even get me started on the fish.

Bottom line is the price is whatever the vendor can get from you on that day.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bottom line is the price is whatever the vendor can get from you on that day.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

And of course "Long Nose Tax" varies from place to place.  Back on one of my longer stays there, SAO wouldn't let me go anywhere near the wet markets, as soon as any of the vendors saw me the price would go up; ranging from a little to significantly.  That was in provincial Negos Oriental.  With my ex in Angeles it didn't seem to change but they could just be sneakier about it there. 

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow changed the title to Price comparison public markets