Hey, there was Red Horse available :thumbsup:

Oooops.jpg Sorry, should have known an ulterior motive  :cheers: :wink:

• Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My wife goes to the local market 2-3 times a week

mainly for fish and vegtables and eggs

and brown rice for the dogs ( mixed with liver or pork )

She always goes to the same vendors .

And she buys me my favourite Biblinka cakes there as well.

For me however since having the funny belly probs when we first arrived in 2011

My food as she calls it are beefburgers, either from S&R or the cdo pack of 4

Or from robinsons which always sell out, and purefoods hotdogs with Angus.

She makes me sheperds pies , and we buy cordon bleu from a local caterer

And i eat a lot of chicken. I never eat food from the roadside places.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

My wife goes to the local market 2-3 times a week

For some reason this reminds me of my ex C/L partner who used to go to the market but she had a Suki who would shop for her.  As I understand it, the Suki shops for you and gets you all the best deals.  

Please ask you wives. fellas.  Do any of them use a Suki?  Dona was the only gf of mine who did so I do not know if it is common practice.  I asked Lynne about it and she said it is the local market version of the Robinson's Rewards Card.  She said the Suki gives loyalty discounts to her customers who come in 2 - 3 times a week and always use her services.

Is there a better explanation, anyone?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For some reason this reminds me of my ex C/L partner who used to go to the market but she had a Suki who would shop for her.  As I understand it, the Suki shops for you and gets you all the best deals.  

Please ask you wives. fellas.  Do any of them use a Suki?  Dona was the only gf of mine who did so I do not know if it is common practice.  I asked Lynne about it and she said it is the local market version of the Robinson's Rewards Card.  She said the Suki gives loyalty discounts to her customers who come in 2 - 3 times a week and always use her services.

Is there a better explanation, anyone?

Lynne has it about right. Suki is a Japanese word meaning to like or to love. It's a special relationship between a vendor and customer where the customer will always use a certain vendor and in return receive a better discount.

• Like 3

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
On 26.1.2018 at 1:43 AM, Old55 said:

Perhaps you could provide costs in your area Dr S?

Sorry. You will be shocked when you see prices in my area. ;) But when you like to get shocked then you  can google the prices in Switzerland. 

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
On 26.1.2018 at 2:13 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't think Dr S understands how the public market works.  Take rice for example.  I have gone to our very small public market and found at least 5 vendors for the Ganador rice we like.  On that occasion, each vendor has a different price ranging from 49 pesos per kg to 61 pesos per kg for the same product.  Perhaps there is some room for negotiation but it did not seem so as the stall owner sets the price and the employees must charge it (in many cases).  So I could tell you where I got it for 49 pesos except that we went back to that stall 2 days later to find they were now charging 51.  Small difference in numbers but about 4% increase in 2 days.  Don't even get me started on the fish.

Bottom line is the price is whatever the vendor can get from you on that day.

It is clear that the prices on public markets are somewhat varying in such markets (supply and demand). But I guess that the prices of one product will not vary by more than 20% everyday  (even 10% will be a lot and probably not happens often), (Ex: The same rice at same stall varying by more than +/- 10 PHP). 

I heard such stuff like public market in Siquijor is more expensive in general than the one in Dumaguete. Or Cebu Carbon Market is more expensive than Bankerohan Market in Davao. While other people means that it is the other way around. The idea is to get a sort of overview about the markets.

• Jollygoodfellow changed the title to Price comparison public markets
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

The idea is to get a sort of overview about the markets.

It is a good idea and I think we are all learning from this thread.  Thanks for initiating it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/26/2018 at 11:39 AM, BrettGC said:

And of course "Long Nose Tax" varies from place to place.  Back on one of my longer stays there, SAO wouldn't let me go anywhere near the wet markets, as soon as any of the vendors saw me the price would go up; ranging from a little to significantly.  That was in provincial Negos Oriental.  With my ex in Angeles it didn't seem to change but they could just be sneakier about it there. 

I have never been to the wet market here for those reasons!  I have been wanting to take a walk through by myself but parking is bad in the area, so I usually just drop my wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1