To ground or not to ground. That is the question

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So the landlady bought over a new microwave to replace one that died but the new one has a separate grounding wire. The manual says it must be grounded so the question is does anyone bother? Will be difficult to do in my case and every other appliance here has no grounding wire. 

:Zap:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So the landlady bought over a new microwave to replace one that died but the new one has a separate grounding wire. The manual says it must be grounded so the question is does anyone bother? Will be difficult to do in my case and every other appliance here has no grounding wire. 

:Zap:

Ours has the wire too.  Never used it and everything is fine for 4+ years.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our aircon and fridge have had ground wires... Uncle clipped them off. He said they were not used here.  Then again, I did HVAC (aircon ha ha) work in the US for 25 years and many of the guys clipped them off there too.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Ours has the wire too.  Never used it and everything is fine for 4+ years.

Ditto, I used the same microwave in Philippines for 9 years now.  Works fine with the skinny green grounding wire dangling loose or tied in a little bundle and not attached to anything.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If you want to be extra careful about grounding when using the microwave, stand in front of it in bare feet and hold the terminal attached to the ground wire in one hand, while grabbing the kitchen sink fixture with the other hand.  Any anomalies in the current should be dissipated and the microwave will be safe.

All I would add to that as an option is, stand in a bowl of water! :hystery:

Surely an earthing rod connected to all floor standing appliances would not break the bank and can be easily installed unless your in a high rise block of apartment's. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Whist our House is Grounded we have non of the 2 pin appliances Grounded and so far no problems

• Thanks 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The logic is that the appliance has a metal casing so unlike say a hairdryer which is double insulated there is nothing to protect one in the event of a short but I did read somewhere the Philippines system uses the negative wire to ground the system so I guess the appliance is made that way to use in other countries. 

For those who suggest I try it while holding the sink, I have passed your name to my attorney  :smile:

3 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Surely an earthing rod connected to all floor standing appliances would not break the bank and can be easily installed unless your in a high rise block of apartment's. :thumbsup:

22 floors up , will need long Rod but not practical to even ground it to a water pipe in my case and rented condo. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The logic is that the appliance has a metal casing so unlike say a hairdryer which is double insulated there is nothing to protect one in the event of a short but I did read somewhere the Philippines system uses the negative wire to ground the system so I guess the appliance is made that way to use in other countries. 

For those who suggest I try it while holding the sink, I have passed your name to my attorney  :smile:

22 floors up , will need long Rod but not practical to even ground it to a water pipe in my case and rented condo. :thumbsup:

Years ago it was standard practice in UK to connect an earth wire to the water pipes.

However now with the use of plastic piping (even the main supply pipe) it is considered necessary to use earthing rods connected to the main fuse board.

I would feel much safer knowing any electrical appliance with metal casings was earthed.......just my opinion

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I suppose it's a silly question, but has the block  a lightning conductor  :56da64a10ceee_1(235):

Edited by Kuya John
spelling correction