Tourist visa getting harder?

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've already emailed BIR and been to their office and both times they said I don't need to pay tax here.

Will try and get the next one in Boracay or Manila.

I pay tax in the UK.

Yeah I agree that's why I was being polite and telling my girlfriend to calm down.

I'm not really working here, I do about 2 hours work a week on my laptop and have a small business in the UK, probably similar to how some of you spend 2 hours a week looking up investments etc.
You can look up the requirements for a working visa here, it's very clear it's not aimed at people like me and hasn't been updated since working online here became a thing. 
And no she didn't suggest a different visa other than getting married, she looked them all up and saw none are suitable.

I can't get a retirement visa here either as I'm only 28. I'll be getting married in a couple of years I expect but won't be rushing it just to satisfy immigration.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 9:58 AM, JJReyes said:

You need to check for the latest tax rules for Philippine citizens and permanent residents. I had heard the Philippines was to adopt rules similar to the United States wherein your worldwide income would be taxable irregardless of where it is earned. Don't know if such a rule has been implemented. 

US says if you pay taxes in Fil you're  exempt up $x then you pay but get to detuct taxes paid to others..thought it was reciprocal. 

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, JJReyes said:

You need to check for the latest tax rules for Philippine citizens and permanent residents. I had heard the Philippines was to adopt rules similar to the United States wherein your worldwide income would be taxable irregardless of where it is earned. Don't know if such a rule has been implemented. 

There is currently a petition going around to change the United States policy of worldwide taxation.

https://mailchi.mp/12c8c8f8d63b/sign-the-2018-ttfi-petition

sumgai
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, JJReyes said:

US taxes based on citizenship so it's a very different case from the rest of the world, majority use territorial or residency based approaches.

If PH does implement this rule they're going to lose some people. Plenty of other countries don't tax non-local income for non-citizens. Since the people don't have the same rights as citizens, can't use most of the local perks, it does make sense not to apply taxes. Not to mention that the aliens probably contribute a lot of VAT through consumption, compared to the average person. Visa fees are mostly income as well as the expenses to process a few papers are minimal - out of 10,000 I paid last time for an extension, it probably took 2 computer queries, 5 papers printed and not more than 15 minutes of work time for the employees, couldn't cost more than 1,000-1,500. So the 8,500 was effectively a tax.

Let's not forget much of the economy is informal, paying no taxes either and those people do get many of the perks.

• 1 month later...
fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Update:

Went and got it renewed in Kalibo, no issues and was done in literally 5 minutes, small little office I was the only one there.

Just read this article also, would give Iloilo a miss if you're on a tourist visa:

The time before that I went when the express fee was banned they had a little guy from a 'tourist agent' sat outside charging the same fee as the express fee would be lol. Corrupt as fcuk.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed blog link as per rules

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Just read this article

Ok, that is not an "article".  That is a blog from a foreigner just like you or me or any of the other members here but he gets to say whatever he wants because it is his own private blog.  We generally do not permit links to private blogs because they so often contain Fake News with no accountability or moderation.

I will leave the link and see if @Jollygoodfellow thinks it is acceptable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
DonnyQ
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 7:16 AM, fillipino_wannabe said:

Went to extend my tourist visa today, currently been here 11 months. They called me in for a little interview and started talking like I'm a criminal and saying I should be on a different visa. Ended up giving me the 2 month visa but said they wouldn't issue me another one at that office. Anyone had similar issues? I thought you were allowed 3 years with no issues?

3 years is a long time to tour a country. Most people usually do that in a few days or few weeks.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DonnyQ said:

3 years is a long time to tour a country. Most people usually do that in a few days or few weeks.

Actually not true.  In your own country, USA, there are Canadian tourists who go there as tourists for 6 months a year, every year, legally, and never see the whole country.  In fact most Americans haven't seen their whole country in an entire lifetime.

Point is that the Philippines is extremely generous in their tourist policy and, whereas the Americans make us Canadians go home every 6 months, the Philippines says "Stay for 3 years and then come again if you like".

• Like 5

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

save your money and headaches and get a permanent visa fellas... cheaper and easier in the long run and it doesnt affect your citizenship.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, lobojohn said:

save your money and headaches and get a permanent visa fellas... cheaper and easier in the long run and it doesnt affect your citizenship.

Hmmmmmmmmm :89: Yes that is The way to Go IF you are married :smile: