Any digital nomad business suggestions/advise to get into in preparation for move to philippines?

Soldier of opportunity
Posted
Posted

Still a a few decisions away from making the thought a reality in moving over to Philippines. 

In the meantime whilst still in uk was wandering if anyone has any help or advise in getting an online business (ideas?) in preparation to establish it whilst still working here.

Only looking at make 500 pounds / 700 US dollars plus a month?

Thanks 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Not a business as such, but there is considerable demand for online tutors teaching English. The hours are very flexible and averaging around 3 to 4 hours a day would put you in that income bracket. As a native speaker (UK, US, etc. ) the pay is around US$10 per hour.

Not for everyone of course, but if you have a teaching background it could be a good fit.

Ken

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Shaun Paul Porter said:

In the meantime whilst still in uk was wandering if anyone has any help or advise in getting an online business (ideas?)

Any online business that would work where you are now would work her, would it not?  I mean the idea of an online business is it's portability.  I cannot think of any online business that would work here but not have equal or better success somewhere else.

For me, I think making money online is the "Holy Grail" that some achieve through hard work, personality, good ideas, and a lot of luck.  Most don't make money with it.

If you wanted to spend enough time to make 40K pesos a month teaching English online, then I suspect you would be better off putting the same amount of time into working in a call center where native English speakers are in demand.  There are a lot of younger expats making that kind of money at call centers.  We old guys cannot do it because they have an age cut-off of 60 years old.  If it appeals to you then apply to one of them near where you want to live and worry about the work permit later.  You can get one but there is a lot of the usual paperwork.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you wanted to spend enough time to make 40K pesos a month teaching English online, then I suspect you would be better off putting the same amount of time into working in a call center where native English speakers are in demand.  There are a lot of younger expats making that kind of money at call centers.  We old guys cannot do it because they have an age cut-off of 60 years old.  If it appeals to you then apply to one of them near where you want to live and worry about the work permit later.  You can get one but there is a lot of the usual paperwork.

Not sure I agree with you, Dave. My good lady used to work in a call centre for JP Morgan in Cebu. Earned good money with bonus's but was burnt out within a year. A full time , very full time, job with many night shifts to align with customers in the US. She also had to live within commuting distance of the call centre in Cebu with commesurate increase in cost of living.

She earns more teaching from home online here in CDO with a lot less hours.  Her 'commute' is 30 seconds with a cup of coffee in her hand! . She also has spare time to run her farm here as well, which she couldn't do whilst living in Cebu.

As I say, teaching is not for everyone, but if it fits your personality you could do a lot worse.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

My good lady used

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

here are a lot of younger expats making that kind of money at call centers

There is a huge difference between the workload and pay of the filipina employee and the expat native speaker who works his way into a management position.  Such is my observation from watching expats in that situation.

If the opener could get up to Clark and get Papa Carl to spend a little time giving him an education in that business he would have a very good idea where to start, but I cannot say if Papa Carl would have the time and interest in "schooling" expats who are not commited enough to do their own due dilligence..    If anyone was really seriously interested in following that path he should go to member PapaCarl's profile and read everything he has written on the subject.  The info is already on this forum :58:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 05/02/2018 at 11:03 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

We old guys cannot do it because they have an age cut-off of 60 years old.  I

I'm not sure about that Dave as a friend or person l.know over 60 up until recently worked at Jp Morgan main call center and was just a call center agent answering calls. Incidentally my gf works in JP Morgan account through Teleperfomance and l asked her one time about age of agents and she said it did not matter but will ask her again when she gets home. 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Incidentally my gf works in JP Morgan account through Teleperfomance and l asked her one time about age of agents and she said it did not matter but will ask her again when she gets home. 

Yes, Agents as they are self employed, Noreco II (Electric co) have meter reading Agents in the province but full time Employees have to Retire at 60 and cannot get Insurance Cover, My doctor has just Retired from The Hospital (SUMC)  as she was 60 but retains her Practice as a Paying Doctor, she lost her SUMC Nurse and has to employ her own now + Rent, Also sss can't be collected from those over 60

Just my 10 cents G & G's

Jack:smile:

Morning All :cornflakes:

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes, Agents as they are self employed, Noreco II (Electric co) have meter reading Agents in the province but full time Employees have to Retire at 60 and cannot get Insurance Cover, My doctor has just Retired from The Hospital (SUMC)  as she was 60 but retains her Practice as a Paying Doctor, she lost her SUMC Nurse and has to employ her own now + Rent, Also sss can't be collected from those over 60

Just my 10 cents G & G's

Jack:smile:

Morning All :cornflakes:

I don't know about the case you mentioned but all call center personel who answer phones are called agents. As far as l know the person l referred to is not self employed but an employee like the rest 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As far as l know the person l referred to is not self employed but an employee like the rest 

Can you get confirmed info on that?  Many may be interested as I'm sure there are others who have applied, as I have, and been turned down without any interview based solely on age (being over 60).

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Can you get confirmed info on that?

Stop the presses!  This just in!

Actually its old news but I just noticed it.  My application at a call center was about 2 and a half years ago and it seems that shortly after that the mandatory retirement age was abolished so theoretically any of us can get jobs at a call center.  Not sure how it works in practice.  Here is the article:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/08/09/16/no-more-mandatory-retirement-at-60-says-solon

• Haha 2