Western union

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

Has anyone tried transferring money to themselves ? Using WU ? I'm thinking of transferring some money that way the reason is to cut down on the amount of cash that I have on me  ?

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Has anyone tried transferring money to themselves ? Using WU ? I'm thinking of transferring some money that way the reason is to cut down on the amount of cash that I have on me  ?

Been doing it regular for several months now.  Had an issue prior to that but I think it may have been because they were upgrading their programs.  Several months it did not work and since it was working again I noticed most of the web pages are different.  Working fine.  There are options within the online system you need to choose which is best for you.  we usually get payout in dollars and exchange ourselves at a MUCH better rate than WU.

Edited by intrepid
spelling

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

What kind of fee do you pay for this service?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

What kind of fee do you pay for this service?

Paying with bank account and cash dollar pick up = $3.99  fee for a $2500 transfer.  However, it is a 4 day wait.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I used to use WU and Xoom. I found WU to be cheaper, and has a better exchange rate, but slower. Xoom is pretty much instant, but you pay for the convenience. I had to use a VPN to log in. If I forgot to use it they would log me into the PI version of their site and not let me send money from the US.  Using my VPN, through Texas, I could send money, no problem.

I gave up on both and just use my USAA ATM card. Better exchange rate, and USAA refunds the p250 ATM fee.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

For small amounts I would suggest using your ATM card, best exchange rate but fees can be a bit much, with HSBC anyway. For larger amounts I would recommend World Remit over W U anytime, better exchange rate and lower fees, instant for cash pick up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

15 minutes ago, virginprune said:

For small amounts I would suggest using your ATM card, best exchange rate but fees can be a bit much, with HSBC anyway. For larger amounts I would recommend World Remit over W U anytime, better exchange rate and lower fees, instant for cash pick up.

Worldremit mate, competitive exchange rates, money paid into a bank account straight away, but be aware, your in the PI's and although it shows in your account, some branches will not let you access it until the next day. Safe, never had a problem in transfering money for years. :thumbsup: Also if using Worldremit, make sure the tag at the top of the page is from the country your trying to transfer from, it will automatically come up in the country you are in. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I tried using both Xoom and World remit but neither would transfer money into my US$ BDO bank account. They all want to translate from Dollar to Peso so that earn that extra commission from the translation rate. 

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

My question is, CAN you send money to yourself while you are in the PI? Some services don't like that. Can you send to yourself (VPN, so it looks like you are in the US). In other words (sender and recipient) same person? Also bank to bank dollar account PI?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, roddavis said:

My question is, CAN you send money to yourself while you are in the PI?

Obviously the answer is yes as people are telling you how they do it.

As you have already found out, there are some companies/services that don't like that.  It has to do with residency requirements (where they are licensed to do business) and government regulations (having to do money laundering)

It is a bit tricky in some cases.  Example:  I must convince my bank in Canada that I reside there in order to get certain services (like getting a loan or sending myself money in the PI).  But I must convince my bank in Philippines that I reside here in order to even get a bank account (which is the reason they all want to see our ACR cards).  It can be done.  The banks want your business.  One must be honest and answer their questions without volunteering any additional information so that they can draw their own conclusions.  Many people have more than one residence so it is not wrong.  What IS wrong is for certain institutions in Canada (or US) to conduct business in Philippines with residents of Philippines who have no ties to the country that institution is licensed to do business in.  If that starts to sound convoluted then just stick with the advice everyone is giving you and you will be fine.

• Like 1