Keeper Memorandum of Agreement

forget_it
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe this is in the wrong section, sorry. Has any expats been asked to fill out a form like this recently? It's 3 pages wanting a lot of personal information. The sub-division I live in had the guard deliver this to me today. I asked about it and the Admin said it goes to the local police and it's required. Then they filled it out for me and said I need to supply a photo. Seems kind of odd and I'm wondering if maybe the sub-division is not just checking up on me (after living here 5 years).

weird.jpg

Edited by forget_it

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It reads a bit like you are going to volunteer to be a Police informer. I wonder why they don't want to know information on the locals. :89:

forget_it
Posted
Posted

That was my question, do I have a choice in this? But apparently I don't. I suppose it's like most things, nothing will ever come of it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wasn't asked to "fill out a form" but 6 months ago I had occasion to go to the barangay office and the secretary said:  Just wait a while, the barangay captain wants to speak with you.

He came in and told me he had been instructed to interview all foreigners living in his barangay so he was quite happy I happened to be in the office and would I mind taking 5 minutes to answer some questions.  He then asked a lot of personal questions, which I answered as I am hiding nothing and he said "Thank you, that saves me a trip to your house."

He might have filled out 3 pages while talking to me but I never saw a form and never had to sign anything (or at least I do not recall signing anything).

My opinion is that all the barangay's have been told to "keep an eye on" all foreigners and some take it more extreme than others.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

"keep an eye on"

I am sure your right, what did he ask you if that's not to personal

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am sure your right, what did he ask you if that's not to personal

It was 6 months ago and I cannot remember.  The questions were related to how, when, and why I came to live at that residence, in depth questions in that area. Questions about my relationship and type of visa and how long I had been in Philippines and how long I planned to stay and who my friends were (don't worry guys, I did not mention any names :morning1: )  Just general questions like that.  I got the impression they were profiling foreigners to see which ones they wanted to keep a closer eye on, but that is pure speculation on my part.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

but that is pure speculation on my part.

I am sure you are right. To be honest I really cant blame the government on this. Like Mexico and a lot of central and south American countries, 3rd and 4th world countries tend to draw some pretty unsavory characters. If I was asked I would cooperate freely. I have nothing to hide and if gathering this information gets rid of some foreigners that make the rest of us look bad...........go for it lol

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This not a particularly new thing, We should all by the law report to the barangay captain after 6 months of residence and have a Clearance (Which can be asked for in a lot of Circumstances) It really is in our own Interest to do this, (We never know when we may need the help of the Captain) Basically it is a need to know who is who in the Barangay.  In our own Countries we would have to do the Same ( Local taxes etc)

To answer about Locals YES! they too have to get a clearance, Schools insist on a Clearance for as child to enroll, Should any one require a PNP Clearance the First thing you will be asked for is your Barangay Clearance. They are not just snooping but trying to get the Population in some sort of Order

Such is my experience.

Jack:smile:

Morning All :morning1: 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just to add to my last post so we can Understand a little more about this 

***Before you can get a Postal ID or a Mayor’s Permit, you have to get a Barangay Clearance first. This is one of the documents that is in demand in transacting with government offices. Moreover, this is commonly requested for ID application, employment requirements, Affidavits, and other legal transactions. *** (Building Permits, Utilities etc etc)

http://faq.ph/how-to-get-a-barangay-clearance-in-the-philippines/

Many times we read this is not required but it is and is getting to be a Must if you want to get things done, We all have a Little Moan about day to day things in this land of Bureaucracy, So let's do our bit to ease it and comply :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

This not a particularly new thing, We should all by the law report to the barangay captain after 6 months of residence and have a Clearance

Yes and by doing this it can open a lot of doors which would otherwise be closed to us.It takes 5 minutes and is about 20 peso so for all it`s worth just do it then go to the pub.Well it is on the way for me.

• Like 2