Stocks and shares

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Anyone else suffering from loses from your stocks and shares over these last few days.

I dont have much invested but its lost quite a bit and if it gets any worst i may have to think about what to do.

Yes stocks and shares go up and then they come down, its not hide the rope time but i am glad i have other eggs in other baskets .

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

The best place to put your money at the moment is under the mattress.

Leave it to the big boys they can only lose someone else's money never their own :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Time to buy!

Long term, historically the US stock market goes up nicely. Corrections and crashes are normal but overall the market goes up. 

We have funds in a stable account that has shown modest growth but is safe from catastrophic loss and we have funds in play that have taken a 10% hit. Our risky funds have grown amazingly well.

Buy BA, making a killing with it and I think there is much more to come.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

The best place to put your money at the moment is under the mattress.

Leave it to the big boys they can only lose someone else's money never their own :thumbsup:

I have just put a lump sum into a isa at the dizzy rate of 1.45% fixed for 1 year, so thats sort of safe

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Time to buy!

Long term, historically the US stock market goes up nicely. Corrections and crashes are normal but overall the market goes up. 

We have funds in a stable account that has shown modest growth but is safe from catastrophic loss and we have funds in play that have taken a 10% hit. Our risky funds have grown amazingly well.

Buy BA, making a killing with it and I think there is much more to come.

In the short time of my shares they have done well, but i will not be putting any other cash in there.

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

8 hours ago, stevewool said:

Anyone else suffering from loses from your stocks and shares over these last few days.

I dont have much invested but its lost quite a bit and if it gets any worst i may have to think about what to do.

Yes stocks and shares go up and then they come down, its not hide the rope time but i am glad i have other eggs in other baskets .

These sorts of market corrections are quite normal and healthy for any stock market.  In reality we are only back where we were two months ago.  Its not about timing the market, its about how much time you are in the market. 

Personally i feel the US is overvalued, but Europe (ex UK) is well into recovery mode, and has lagged behind the US in terms of overall valuations (P/E ratio's to be precise) and that does present opportunity if you are of the opinion we will remain in a Bull market. 

Japan also looks attractive based on Abe's economic reforms and the fact its now coming out of recession and finally things are looking up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

I have just put a lump sum into a isa at the dizzy rate of 1.45% fixed for 1 year, so thats sort of safe

When rates hit rock bottom I put what little i had to play around with into premium bonds, at least I have had some returns

and the chances of  larger  prizes. I have averaged three small wins per year which equates to about the same as your 1.45% :no:

Spoiler

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, stevewool said:

Anyone else suffering from loses from your stocks and shares over these last few days

Just a reminder to committed investors, you don't lose anything unless you sellout.  The current market is undergoing a normal correction.  The economy is doing well with unemployment and growth and this is just a reaction to a possible boost to inflation.  

Financial advisors are opposite to life guards in that they persuade you to stay in the water when you feel like your drowning.  

Another good tip - the only way you get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off.  Keep your long term perspective in mind and ride it out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

Just a reminder to committed investors, you don't lose anything unless you sellout.  The current market is undergoing a normal correction.  The economy is doing well with unemployment and growth and this is just a reaction to a possible boost to inflation.  

Financial advisors are opposite to life guards in that they persuade you to stay in the water when you feel like your drowning.  

Another good tip - the only way you get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off.  Keep your long term perspective in mind and ride it out.  

Exactly

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, bows00 said:

I'm still sitting on some oil related investments that took a huge hit a few years ago when crude oil took the big dump.  When you take a big hit on a certain kind of investment, it might be ok to sell at a loss if you replace it with an investment that will grow faster than the one you sold.

I decided to keep them because I bet that oil prices would move back, and they have.  So when looking at my total portfolio value after that big hit, these "losers" now are contributing to the growth of my total portfolio.  3 of the 4 are still losers but still growing back at a good rate.

At the low on Thursday, my portfolio was probably down 6-8% off the highs of 10 days ago.  I didn't open up my portfolio on the two really bad days where the dow dropped over 1000, because I would be sad!  :console: Actually because I knew it would bounce back.

I knew a correction was coming because the recent gains were out of control and needed a pullback.  I think the bull market has a long way to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1