Cruise Ship In Subic

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have a cruise ship docked in Subic!  The Costa Atlantica is here but I don't think the stop is part of a regular itinerary.  It may be a private charter.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/accidents/Costa-Atlantica-536

Pic by a FB friend:

cruise.jpg

Edit:  My friend says it appears to be mostly Taiwanese passengers.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I went down to check out the ship.  It does appear to be full of Taiwanese passengers of all sorts.  I saw a lot of families, groups and older folks.  Hopefully their pockets had big holes in them today!  I also saw some European crew members out and about.

SBMA was prepared and had the dock area blocked from traffic.  They just recently started to beautify the area but still have a way to go.  I had heard the first cruise ship was scheduled for May, so this was an early arrival.  They had police officers staged in the area, probably to keep the "backpack vendors", as I call them, out of the area.  I did not see any foot vendors in the area and sometimes they are all over.  Apparently they had shuttles and taxis ready too, and I think Harbor Point mall may have opened early.

This park across the street from the dock could be very nice.  I think they have done some work on it.

P1000664 (2).JPG

Some people got down to the little beach by the dock.

P1000666 (2).JPGa

Shot from across the bay by the airport.

P1000670 (2).JPG

Some of the passengers even made it to the area by the airort, for selfies!  I hope the taxis didn't burn them too bad!

P1340427 (2).JPG

Since I was nearby Fisherman's Wharf, I took a pic of my ship.  You guys are welcome to a harbor cruise anytime you are in the area!  :mocking:

P1000676 (2).JPG

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So it turns out my friend's BIL is a cook on the ship and it will be coming about once a month, from Shenzhen, China.  He still said most of the passengers are Taiwanese, which I don't get.

schedule.jpg

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So it turns out my friend's BIL is a cook on the ship and it will be coming about once a month, from Shenzhen, China.  He still said most of the passengers are Taiwanese, which I don't get.

schedule.jpg

Probably just Chinese copies of Taiwanese. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Probably just Chinese copies of Taiwanese. :whistling:

My friend got back to me and said that picture is not the itinerary for the current trip.  Apparently they did load passengers in Taiwan and after Subic they are headed for Japan, so it is a longer trip.

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Costa Atlantica, the ship full of money, was back in port yesterday.  Word from my friend in the know on all things local is that it will be here weekly starting in April.  I think all the passengers were back on board when I snapped this picture.

20180306_162148 (2).jpg

There apparently were a lot of welcoming festivities by the locals, as shown on the FB page of Olongapo City Information:

https://www.facebook.com/olongapopublicaffairs/

That first picture must be the Captain with Wilma Eisma, the chairperson of SBMA.  I have heard her interviewed a few times and she loves to joke about being single.  If any of you are interested in a single, powerful, woman, here is your chance!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1