Power and Freedom Brings Out Who We Really Are

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2018 at 5:56 AM, bows00 said:

Once an expat moves to the Philippines, they have an instant advantage in this country - and I am referring to our spending power.  And with that boost in power, brings a sense of instant freedom - the freedom to be who we really are.  And this condition just amplifies our core values and true nature.  For example, if you are a generous expat, you enjoy giving a 20% tip to a hard working filipino to make their day.  If you are happy, you smile more and spread that happiness even more here.  

Returning to the original topic. The spending power by visitors and expats that goes directly into the local economy is very important. There is a multiplier effect as the generosity of your tip to a hard working Filipino is shared with the community through purchases. So instead of 10%, by all means, make it 20%. The only thing I am against is the imposition wherein the expectation is 20%. I want to be the decision maker whether or not to be generous.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have done well financially lately but I can't see where it has changed me. I still ask myself if I really need a 300-500 php item and don't bat an eyelash at the price of a new car. Where I'm at, tipping isn't the custom because of few foreigners, I only tip for above and beyond service here.

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

There is a multiplier effect as the generosity of your tip to a hard working Filipino is shared with the community through purchases. So instead of 10%, by all means, make it 20%.

If you want to pay 20% more than is required for the same goods and services then go for it.  If I am the boss of that business I will see that people are willing to pay 20% more than I am charging and I will slowly put the price up until I get what the market will bear.  This may be why some of the extremely overpriced restaurants in the USA charge so much.  If you pay it, higher prices will come, IMHO.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2018 at 9:56 PM, bows00 said:

For example, if you are a generous expat, you enjoy giving a 20% tip to a hard working filipino to make their day.

Oh it would. If you spent P1000 then gave P200 tip then thats over half of a days pay. Wish people used to give me a half days pay several times a week when l was working.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

slowly put the price up

back on this ole bugaboo eh lolol :hystery:. Been going to the same barber for almost 6 years. Pay 100p for a shave and a hair cut, I tip 100. first of all he has a sharp blade at my throat, 2nd he gives good service and I tip for it. He is raising his prices next month 10p, but I think that's more due to the TRAIN than my tipping. I am a generous tipper, because it make me feel good.

But a beggar or a kid comes up to me on the street and says "give me coins" , its walang pera for you.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, scott h said:

back on this ole bugaboo

Yeah, we can agree to disagree on that point.  I see you still have not changed your mind.  :cheersty:

• Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, scott h said:

back on this ole bugaboo eh lolol :hystery:. Been going to the same barber for almost 6 years. Pay 100p for a shave and a hair cut, I tip 100. first of all he has a sharp blade at my throat, 2nd he gives good service and I tip for it. He is raising his prices next month 10p, but I think that's more due to the TRAIN than my tipping. I am a generous tipper, because it make me feel good.

But a beggar or a kid comes up to me on the street and says "give me coins" , its walang pera for you.

I do tip my barber because he is extremely good at his profession, he even makes me presentable. I tip him because I can't give him a 🏅. It also happens that he closes the shop door and turns the aircon on when I walk in.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, robert k said:

I do tip my barber because he is extremely good at his profession

Interesting that we are on to barbers now.  My friend Mark found a very good barber.  He did a great job.  So good that Mark would tip him double so a 50 peso haircut was getting paid 100 pesos.  Mark intro'd me to Calvin and he did do an interesting job.  I liked it for a time or two, but the expectation was there for me to give 100 pesos because Calvin is an "artist" and because my friend gives that much.

So Mark was here from US last month and I asked "How is Calvin".  He said.  "Calvin started thinking he must be too good for this town if people are willing to pay him double for his haircuts so he quit and moved to Manila where his talent would be appreciated."  He went on to say:  "I still get my haircut from the same place.  One of the other barber does it and its just as good a job but I've learned my lesson and I don't tip like that any more."

Well at least he learned his lesson.  I learned to switch barbers when they start expecting a bigger tip than their other clientele pays.  How much is that?  About 10 pesos.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Oh it would. If you spent P1000 then gave P200 tip then thats over half of a days pay. Wish people used to give me a half days pay several times a week when l was working.

Doubt that would happen as you would not work for such a low wage.  Many more workers than jobs is to blame. :shooter:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

I use to feel that way. We were told as children that beggars are drug addicts, drunks and gamblers. The children were working for syndicates and very little money goes to them. We are only encouraging them to continue begging when they should look for a job. 

My attitude has changed. When a small kid asks for coins, I would banter with them in Tagalog. "Why are you asking for coins, you should think big." Then I give a P20 or P50 bill. I quickly move away before they call friends to pester me. For a brief moment, the kid is happy beyond belief. I don't care if the money eventually goes to parents who are drug addicts, drunks or gamblers, or if the money goes to a syndicate. 

• Like 1