All along the Watchtower

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We had visitors today. A Frenchman and a Filipina with a teen son and a daughter close to Iyyah's age.

It was very strange. They had just come from the house of a foreigner who lives nearby and had asked around to find out if there were other foreigners close by. 

They told us this. It was a short, friendly visit, they said. Just what they do, they said. 

Alarm bells were ringing in my brain as "Pierre" asked question after question that I began making up answers to.

The pitch, it turns out, wasn't sinister. It was The Watchtower.

Pierre and Mrs. Smiley Goodface were Jehovah Witnesses.

Mercifully, it was a short visit, as advertised. But it was also perplexing. Mrs. Goodface and Pierre weren't married as their presence projected. Odd.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Clever how you titled this experience made me laugh. :smile:

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Pierre and Mrs. Smiley Goodface were Jehovah Witnesses.

Gosh and here I was thinking I was going to get away from them, :hystery: They're in plague proportion over here, must be the drought we're experiencing. :SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

Gosh and here I was thinking I was going to get away from them, :hystery: They're in plague proportion over here, must be the drought we're experiencing. :SugarwareZ-004:

It was just an odd thing on many fronts.

Foremost, we never have unexpected visitors. It's the wall and the gates not offering any view in. It's a little disconcerting, but not be unexpected, that they "found" me just by "asking around". Also disconcerting, but not to be unexpected, that they were seeking out foreigners. Does Jehova have enough "poor" Filipinos? Or perhaps "Pierre" had been trained in Bolo Avoidance Techniques?

Another odd thing to me was that the pitch consisted of just handing me The Watchtower. Maybe their tactics have changed from days gone by but I recall more of the Witness portion of the show. My mother, who is an old-time Baptist, used to invite them in, put on coffee and argue the Bible with them for hours.

After the fact, it was learning from my wife that they weren't married and the apparent using of the children as props. 

I don't care that they're JWs. I'm frankly a little worried that they maybe weren't .

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, JDDavao said:

I don't care that they're JWs. I'm frankly a little worried that they maybe weren't

You mean maybe they were Mormons.  Egads!   Wonder what would happen if the Mormons and JWs got to a house at the same time.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I don't care that they're JWs. I'm frankly a little worried that they maybe weren't .

My dogs deal with all unwelcome visitors

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You mean maybe they were Mormons.  Egads!   Wonder what would happen if the Mormons and JWs got to a house at the same time.

More likely, they will try to recruit each other......he, he.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Would there be time to lay bets and order pizza?

• Haha 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I had neighbours in Dalaguete who were JWs and never had a problem with them trying to convert us.The agent dealing with my house build is also one and it has only come up once when at new year I tyold him happy new year and he said we don`t celebrate it. I must be lucky but I aint getting of my manakin.

• Like 1