All you can eat buffet.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2018 at 4:36 PM, Mike J said:

Did not care for them in the USA, and care for them even less here because . . . .  on a visit to Cebu several years back we took some of the relatives to an "all you can choke down without getting sick" in Cebu City.  I was already eating as a tour bus arrived and a large group of Korean tourists poured out and descended like a flock of seagulls on the buffet line.  I noticed one of the men standing in front of the buffet, maybe deciding what to eat?  Suddenly he took a deep breath, leaned forward, and sneezed.  There were no sneeze shields over the food, he did not turn his head, cover his mouth, or back away, nothing.  I could actually see a fine spray as it arched out over the food.  That my friends is an image that will remain indelibly etched on my memory for a LONG time. :shock_40_anim_gif: 

My wife refuses to eat buffet style because of ill mannered guests who don't know basic food etiquette including a new plate every time you return to the table for more food. In addition, how long ago since the food was prepared by the kitchen? One time, we went to a buffet and both of would swear it was all leftover from a previous day wedding buffet. They even had part of the wedding cake on the dessert table.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

My wife refuses to eat buffet style because of ill mannered guests who don't know basic food etiquette including a new plate every time you return to the table for more food. In addition, how long ago since the food was prepared by the kitchen? One time, we went to a buffet and both of would swear it was all leftover from a previous day wedding buffet. They even had part of the wedding cake on the dessert table.

JJ, I have a confession to make...... I'd be the one returning with my plate. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now the big question, was it cheaper than if you had ordered buffet and gone up to get it yourself?

When I am at a restaurant that offers buffet breakfast and I am not in the mood for it, I take care to order something from the menu that is not anywhere on the buffet.  I do this with the hope that it will be prepared fresh.

We just returned from a 5 weeks trip through Mexico's Colonial Highlands. All our hotel reservations included breakfast. Since my wife won't eat from the buffet, she quickly made friends with the wait staff and asked them to prepare "huevos fritos" (fried eggs) or "huevos duros" (hard boiled eggs). They were very accommodating. 

Eating required some adjustments. All hotel restaurants and restaurants serve breakfast (buffet or a la carte ) until 1:00 pm.  No exception. They won't give you a lunch menu until the appointed hour. Same thing in Spain where lunch officially starts after 2:00 pm. 

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

One time, we went to a buffet and both of would swear it was all leftover from a previous day wedding buffet

I have had this happen to me a few years ago and it left me quite ill for a few days.I never used that place again and would still avoid it.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Mike In Canada said:

I am in Manila now and had dinner here Thursday. The price is 3500 plus tax and tip

all you can eat lobster tails, crab, steak, a cheese cellar filled with expensive cheeses from Italy and Spain. Excellent cold cuts from Italy prosutto capacola etc. Food station from France, Italy, Philippines, India, and others this is worth the money. 

They have a membership program.  We usually go with my sister-in-law, who is a member.  From my experience, Spiral is far and away the best buffet I've tried.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

This thread has been educational. Thank you.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

This thread has been educational.

Yes, it has been all I can digest about "all you can eat buffets"

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, it has been all I can digest about "all you can eat buffets"

Yes, and it reminded me of the worst food poisoning of my life!

Late 90's, I had a business trip to Hong Kong and Manila.  The day I left Hong Kong I decided to try a nearby seafood buffet before my late afternoon flight to Manila.  Big mistake!  I started feeling queasy at the airport, but decided to board.  On board I was sweating like a pig, trying not to use the barf bag.  Made it off the plane in NAIA, the very old terminal before they fixed it up a bit.  I don't think there was air con in the baggage claim area, and I probably already had a high fever.  I was drenched in sweat, and before my bag came, boom, projectile vomiting right there in the baggage claim while running to the CR!  Very sick and dizzy, found my bag, then found a taxi.  I think I stayed at the Hermitage.  On the way there, it hit me again and the taxi driver was screaming at me to close the door as I was hanging out of it puking!  Made it to my room and got some sleep, but woke up to the same with very high fever and LBM too!  Finally had the hotel get me a doctor the next morning and she gave me some shots of something.  I laid in the hotel room for 3 days and then had 1 day left before flying home.

Is that a thread-ender?  :hystery:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

I'd be the one returning with my plate

Can't see what difference it makes. Would be if the plate sat a couple of hours gathering bacteria and flies but not if one is actively eating. 

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Can't see what difference it makes

Well I Googled that one and got this answer:

Dear Tom: Requiring patrons to use a clean plate for each trip to the buffet is a food safety issue. ... If you were to take a soiled plate back to the buffet, it is possible that the serving utensil could come into contact with the plate and contaminate the food on the buffet line.