English in the Philippines

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I am not surprised talking to people here.

Inquiry into decline of English skill of PH students sought
By: Julius N. Leonen  / 06:55 PM February 16, 2018
Senator Grace Poe has filed a resolution calling for an inquiry into the “decline” in English proficiency of Filipino students.

In Senate Resolution No. 622, Poe called for an assessment of the present curricula in elementary and high school in light of “reports of narrowing advantage of Filipino graduates in the global language.”

thanks for watching!

“According to results of a two-year study conducted by Hopkins International Partners, Filipino university graduates average 630 on English proficiency based on the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC),” the resolution stated.

According to the resolution, the study said that business process outsourcing (BPO) agents were expected to have a score of 850 in the TOIEC.

Moreover, the resolution noted that the average was “lower than the competency requirement for taxi drivers in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.”

“Filipino graduates also averaged a Common European Framework of Reference of Language (CEFR) grade of B1, lower than the CEFR B2 proficiency target set for high school graduates in Thailand and Vietnam,” it added.

“The same report indicated that the Filipino university graduates’ median score was comparable to the proficiency of 5th and 6th grade students in native English speaking countries such as the US and the United Kingdom,” it also said.

Poe then encouraged the government to “adopt global English standards to improve citizens’ communication skills.”

The senator also said the academe should review the current curricula “to improve teaching and learning of English”

While the private sector, including non-government organizations, “must step up efforts to improve competitiveness of the Filipino labor,” she said.

• Like 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

According to results of a two-year study conducted by Hopkins International Partners

TWO years!  Could have told them the same conclusions after 2 minutes!

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, allancomeau said:

TWO years!  Could have told them the same conclusions after 2 minutes!

You need to start with the teachers who in many cases their English is very limited.Ask JP what happened to his daughter in school.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I believed they are concerned because on of the attractions for hiring Filipino OFW's is the wide spread use of English. They can easily meld into an work force almost anywhere. If they lose that skill they might loose probably their most valuable export. Few other Asian countries really speak English widely. Onse you get outside Tokyo, Seoul or Beijing English is almost unknown and those economies are thriving.  

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, scott h said:

their most valuable export

I think OCW transfers amount to something like 10% of the GDP.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

I think OCW transfers amount to something like 10% of the GDP.

:hystery: Yeah! and I bet the Other 90% or damn near it, comes from us  :huh:

Sorry Boss could not resist this  embarrased  man.jpg

• Haha 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I joked about my niece's school report card when I saw she had a 98 in English. I asked her if that was so, why did she never talk to me?She just turned red and got embarrassed.

• Like 2

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2018 at 7:00 PM, JDDavao said:

I joked about my niece's school report card when I saw she had a 98 in English. I asked her if that was so, why did she never talk to me?She just turned red and got embarrassed.

Nothing personal I am sure......................

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

On 2/18/2018 at 7:00 PM, JDDavao said:

My nephew just graduated from a maritime academy. All classes are taught in English only.  Even after graduating there.... he cannot speak English. I think he understands it well enough but will not speak it.  How is he supposed to function on the ships if he cannot speak with others?

I have an Ilonggo tutor. Her translations into English are comical at best.  When I (politely) correct her she says that the exact words do not matter, as long as people know what you mean.  I tried to explain to her if you are learning a language, you need to learn it correctly.  I don't want to speak Ilionggo in an "understandable" way I want to speak it the way they speak it. As a language teacher she should know that, and her English should be a lot better than it is. I am looking for a better tutor...

There are so many languages here, they really don't care about speaking them correctly, just enough to understand each other.  That kind of makes sense here, in the PIs, but out in the real world it does not make them look very good.  OFWs are the biggest export here, and they need to be prepared to interact with people internationally.  At the moment, English is the de facto lingua franca.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My nephew just graduated from a maritime academy. All classes are taught in English only.  Even after graduating there.... he cannot speak English. I think he understands it well enough but will not speak it.  How is he supposed to function on the ships if he cannot speak with others?

I have an Ilonggo tutor. Her translations into English are comical at best.  When I (politely) correct her she says that the exact words do not matter, as long as people know what you mean.  I tried to explain to her if you are learning a language, you need to learn it correctly.  I don't want to speak Ilionggo in an "understandable" way I want to speak it the way they speak it. As a language teacher she should know that, and her English should be a lot better than it is. I am looking for a better tutor...

There are so many languages here, they really don't care about speaking them correctly, just enough to understand each other.  That kind of makes sense here, in the PIs, but out in the real world it does not make them look very good.  OFWs are the biggest export here, and they need to be prepared to interact with people internationally.  At the moment, English is the de facto lingua franca.

That is why if you travel 2 miles away from where you live they have difficulty in understanding one another.Your teacher sounds a right idiot.

• Haha 1