Is this Normal

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Chaperone thing is normal I had it when I first got here and look where it got my wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had various chaperones with us at all times first visit, and a big family dinner with lechon was organised and what seemed like an endless number of family members being introduced.  Much Red Horse was drunk and there was Kareoke and Zumba dancing (but they had San Miguel for me).  

The second visit was much more relaxed .

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi Guys

Well the time draws closer for my first ever trip to the phils ,I shall be there in 4 weeks time .Ive been chatting to a woman for about 6 months now and she will meet me when I land in Davao , the good news is that instead of us heading off to a resort on Samal Island ,I have to go to her family home and meet her family ,from what I can work out there are about 20 of them all itching to meet me . I know its a different culture but being dragged off to meet her family straight away is that a normal act ?  or is this something that a traditional family would expect ,this lady is 40 years old not ,18 

Seems to me you got your answer, all above is correct and I'd suggest go with the Jollibee meal, gee they can eat when it's free. Good luck and enjoy. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bastonjock said:

she has not asked for anything from me ,other than I take her to an exotic restaurant and meet her family , who knows what will evolve but I intend to approach it all with an open mind.

Just because you can, why should you?   I agree with Lou49, if they are expecting you to foot the bill then it should be at Jollibee.  Also I would set a limit on the number in advance, ok they might still turn up in numbers anyway but at least its best to try and control the situation. Jollibee for the hangers on and an exotic restaurant for you and the new missus. Good luck and enjoy your visit. Stay safe!!

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

This calls for a round of Red Horse and guess what,  you're buying. I usually buy the first round which costs around 500p - 1,000p and after that there on their own. You will also be expected to buy snacks for the kids so be sure to have some, 20p, 50p and 100p notes because they almost never bring you any change. For larger groups I like to take them out to eat at Mang Inasal where everyone can eat for under 150p a head with tasty chicken and unlimited rice. 

http://www.manginasal.com/menu/

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just remember what maybe normal to others maybe not normal to us.

When i met Emma for the first time face to face she had just turned 33, i did not meet there family until the 3rd week i was there.

We met then after a few days we flew out to another island for 2 weeks holiday, but Emma was told she has to stay in contact by phone each day to make sure she is ok, half way between our holiday her phone broke so there was no contact from her to her family until we got back to Manila, the family was concerned and about ready to call the police as they thought she may have been kidnapped by me.

Yes Emma did not tell me she had to keep contact either.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Yes Emma did not tell me she had to keep contact either.

I refer you to my Post on common sense Steve :wink: What would you have said if it had been Your daughter and  a guy you never knew 33 or not?

Scratching Head.jpg :smile:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

I refer you to my Post on common sense Steve :wink: What would you have said if it had been Your daughter and  a guy you never knew 33 or not?

Scratching Head.jpg :smile:

Indeed Jack, i still make sure where my daughter is going and just to make sure the chap she is meeting is ok, i stand at the window looking through the blinds just so i can see him and the car he drives, i must add my daughter hates this plus i have even got Emma looking through the blinds so there is two sets of eyes watching her get into the car.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

i have even got Emma looking through the blinds so there is two sets of eyes watching her get into the car.

So you see Steve all this IS Normal when it is our Kids, especially the girls :thumbsup:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

all wanted to say hello and "borrow" an average of 500 pesos each for some emergency that they just knew God had sent me to help them with.

Hmmm.....

I don't think I could handle that and I would be outta there.  No problem to buy them all a meal, but bluntly asking for money at first meeting would be out of bounds.

• Like 2