Items from your old life

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

Thanks Jack.

Sorry to keep asking these question, but if i dont drive or buy a vehicle once there but say a year or so later, have i still got to change my license after the first 90 days of setting foot in the Philippines.

Steve the gist of it is after 90 days from your last entry into the country you want to drive then you have to convert your UK licence to a Phills one.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not if it has expired or "run out"

Well I dont think that was the question but what it means is if the license has expired he has to do a written and practical test.

3. Can I convert my foreign driver’s license into Philippine driver’s license?

Yes. If valid, no exams. If expired subject to written / practical exams. 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes. If valid, no exams. If expired subject to written / practical exams. 

:thumbsup: Absolutely correct, this is what happened to be just over 1 year ago, I never drove here for over 6 years then when I bought the car, it all started :whistling:

Jack:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Morning All:morning1: 

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, stevewool said:

Do other members renew there passport or driving license   from there  birthplace or where ever or is it a case you may never need them again so why bother.

Personally I never bothered converting my license.   DVLA do kind of turn a blind eye to those who are overseas but still use a UK address, but they do expect you to convert it eventually.  It becomes problematic if you ever want to hire a car back in the UK on a UK license as most car hire companies expect you to prove your address with a utility bill.  If you dont have that then it causes all sorts of delays.

Passport - yes you can apply from here BUT long gone are the days where you could pop down to the embassy, apply and pick up the new one within a week or so.  Now you have to apply online, pay a more expensive fee than a UK resident, send it back to HMPO in the UK (at your own cost), hope it doesnt get lost and wait anywhere from 1-3 months to get it back.  I usually fill up a 48 page passport probably within 2 years so I just to use the fast track service when im back in London and they will turn it around in 4 hours as I cant not travel for an extended period of time.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, stevewool said:

Having just got my British passport for another 10 years what other things do i need to have once i leave these shores for a new life, and how do you get them.

Do other members renew there passport or driving license   from there  birthplace or where ever or is it a case you may never need them again so why bother.

As a HGV driver i have to replace my license plus ADR license and drivers card and most will be running out very soon, as some of these cards will incur a cost to renew so do i bother with these as i am hoping i will never need them again, but the driving license i will need that.

The driver's license would depend on if you are driving or not.  I do not currently have any interest in a car, but did renew my Texas driver's license when I visited the US in 2014. It is a 6 year license and I can do one renewal online, then will have to renew it in person, if I go back for a visit. I plan on keeping it current... just in case I ever need it again. I don't want to have to take the test again ha ha

The passport is not an option. You will need to keep that current forever.  US passports are very easy to do by mail, hopefully yours are easy to.  I just mailed it to the Embassy in Manila and they forward it to the US for processing, then sent it back to my house (3 weeks total turnaround).

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jrlee183 said:

Passport - yes you can apply from here BUT long gone are the days where you could pop down to the embassy, apply and pick up the new one within a week or so.  Now you have to apply online, pay a more expensive fee than a UK resident, send it back to HMPO in the UK (at your own cost), hope it doesnt get lost and wait anywhere from 1-3 months to get it back.

The last time I renewed mine online in 2015 it took 2 weeks to come back and the old one was a few days later.They have improved the overseas renewal process a lot in the last few years.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

The last time I renewed mine online in 2015 it took 2 weeks to come back and the old one was a few days later.They have improved the overseas renewal process a lot in the last few years.

Hope it stays that way, mine is due in 2020 :whistling:

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

Really?  Thats good to know.   Admittedly when I used the overseas renewal service was during the huge backlog they had in 2014.  Fortunately I have two UK passports so was able to travel on the other.  The problem was that I was the sole resident director of a company in Malaysia at the time and my visa was about to expire in the passport that I had sent off to be renewed 2 months before.  Once expired then  i would no longer be resident thus in breach of company law.  So I ended up having to buy a last minute ticket to the UK for a 2 day trip to use the 4 hour fast track service (which in fact took 8 hours), to renew my other passport which was almost full anyway.

It was an expensive process.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jrlee183 said:

Really?  Thats good to know.   Admittedly when I used the overseas renewal service was during the huge backlog they had in 2014.  Fortunately I have two UK passports so was able to travel on the other.  The problem was that I was the sole resident director of a company in Malaysia at the time and my visa was about to expire in the passport that I had sent off to be renewed 2 months before.  Once expired then  i would no longer be resident thus in breach of company law.  So I ended up having to buy a last minute ticket to the UK for a 2 day trip to use the 4 hour fast track service (which in fact took 8 hours), to renew my other passport which was almost full anyway.

It was an expensive process.

Yes that is a bummer.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 19/02/2018 at 8:44 AM, jrlee183 said:

Personally I never bothered converting my license.   DVLA do kind of turn a blind eye to those who are overseas but still use a UK address, but they do expect you to convert it eventually.  It becomes problematic if you ever want to hire a car back in the UK on a UK license as most car hire companies expect you to prove your address with a utility bill.  If you dont have that then it causes all sorts of delays.

When I checked with DVLA a couple or more years back, they were emphatic that the UK licence was only available to those living in the UK.  Based on that, I decided i had no choice to let it expire. 

I suppose I could have 'pretended' i was in the UK and gone ahead and renewed but i was concerned because a) I didn't want my licence to be retained by DVLA if they somehow discovered I wasn't in the UK when I applied and b) I was advised by a tax lawyer to be wary of having any 'official' connection to the UK - he specifically mentioned a valid driving licence.

I suppose I'll just need to go through the practical/written tests here if and when I decide to add to the road congestion!