Foton Pickup?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just happened to notice this Chinese truck called the Foton Thunder (click for link) and it seems they look like the major brands of pick up available here but about 1/3 less than the price.

Anyone with experience with that brand?  In the link you will notice a 3 year old pickup that looks in good condition for less than half a million pesos.  That is a good price if the truck is as good as it looks.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone with experience with that brand? 

Not actual experience but Azon tells me they are always second in the Supply chain for Noreco II ( Electric Company) beaten mostly by ISUZU  on price but the spec is Good.

Such is all I can say

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

beaten mostly by ISUZU  on price but the spec is Good.

Thanks.  I love ISUZU but the average purchaser pays through the nose for them.  I bet Isuzu offesr much better prices to Noreco and other businesses than they do the general public whereas that Foton seems to be cheaper to the general public.  Looking at used ones on line, a 3 year old Isuzu will go for 800K and up while a Foton seems priced about 30% less than that.  Which is why I am asking on here.  I could not afford a new "anything" but the used Foton's in the bigger cities look very attractively priced.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

The Foton Thunder seems to be the exception to the rule that, generally, Chinese made vehicles are rubbish. Foton seem to have taken a long hard look at the competition and the Thunder is probably the first to be built to a reasonable standard. The choice of a Cummins turbo diesel unit is probably a good one, the main consideration would be resistance to bodywork corrosion. Chinese steel isn't renowned for its quality. They do offer a five year warranty though, so that should say something.

The Thunder does seem to offer good value for money. Certainly warrants further investigation.  

Ken

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

The Thunder does seem to offer good value for money. Certainly warrants further investigation.  

It would appear that Dumaguete City works run quite a few and the Barangays are using the larger 3 toner type so something must be right somewhere

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.  Just a dream at this point as my parking stall is only 14 foot long and those trucks average about 17 foot, but maybe one day . . . :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Foton is trucks is a joint venture Mercedes thats what the bro in law was told

When he bought a new Foton mini bus in Legazpi.

Foton itself is a chinese state owned company

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

One of our cars is a joint venture with Mercedes and its been the most unreliable car I've owned apart from a Hillman Maxi many years ago. Mercedes may make prestige cars but they rank poorly for reliability.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My neighbour bought a one year old Foton pickup for P650,000, this was the price he paid in Manila. He doesn't like it, he says, because it is only a 2 wheel drive, why not buy a 4x4 then thinks I. When he first brought it back here it got stuck outside his gate, his karma for not fixing the road, as promised, after his build.

I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 in the future, I shall go with Isuzu as I believe they are the strongest and best for the, mostly, off road environment I will be using it in..

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks guys.  Just a dream at this point as my parking stall is only 14 foot long and those trucks average about 17 foot, but maybe one day . . . :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

MMM falling short again Dave are we.Just extend out into the road that`s what most people here do,look at the street vendors.

• Haha 1