Foton Pickup?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

a Hillman Maxi

Don't want to split hairs really but as we are talking Brands, the Maxi was Austin (BLMC) for me the worst I ever had was the Austin (BLMC) Allegro and that was renamed the "Aggro" and they were certainly full of that :thumbsup:

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, virginprune said:

I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 in the future, I shall go with Isuzu as I believe they are the strongest and best for the, mostly, off road environment I will be using it in..

My comment is Not aimed at you - just in general. One can see many 4WDs around the city - like you need it in the city :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I had the use of 2WD van - no problem whatsoever despite living in the far reaches of Quezon Province. If you don't know how to drive (in the boondocks) then I guess you need 4WD.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, allancomeau said:

My comment is Not aimed at you - just in general. One can see many 4WDs around the city - like you need it in the city :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I had the use of 2WD van - no problem whatsoever despite living in the far reaches of Quezon Province. If you don't know how to drive (in the boondocks) then I guess you need 4WD.

I live in the "city", kinda.  We live up on a hill with winding roads down into the freeport.  During the rainy season I turn on 4wd quite often.  4wd mode on my Trailblazer provides extra traction control functionality and electronic stability control functionality.  During a heavy rain, it feels "stuck" to the road much better than when in 2wd.

And sometimes the roads don't cooperate.  On New Years Eve while parking, I dropped the right front wheel into a hole that someone had covered with palm fronds.  I don't think I would have got out without the 4wd.

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think I would have got out without the 4wd.

In the province you would quickly find the value of many smiling filipino faces.

I drove a 2WD Isuzu pickup for 6 years here.  I only got it stuck once, in a construction zone, and about 6 local lads were quick to come give me a push and a wave.  No demand for payment.   Just a smile and a wave made them happy.

I sold it a few years back but I would buy another 2WD, unless I absolutely MUST travel the back roads during rainstorms.  :rain_80_anim_gif:  But as I am retired I have no problem taking alternate routes or waiting for better weather.  :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In the province you would quickly find the value of many smiling filipino faces.

I drove a 2WD Isuzu pickup for 6 years here.  I only got it stuck once, in a construction zone, and about 6 local lads were quick to come give me a push and a wave.  No demand for payment.   Just a smile and a wave made them happy.

I sold it a few years back but I would buy another 2WD, unless I absolutely MUST travel the back roads during rainstorms.  :rain_80_anim_gif:  But as I am retired I have no problem taking alternate routes or waiting for better weather.  :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

2wd or 4wd, ground / water clearance might be important to some if they live in a flood prone area.  I posted this before and this is the only time it has happened in 5+ years here.  Normal sedans can't go through this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ulsVNofp0U7GZbIB2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Normal sedans can't go through this.

I hear that!  We get that kind of weather in Dumaguete from time to time and normal sedans should not go through this.  Although, give the driver a few beers and you might be surprised what they will try to drive through :Caught:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Although, give the driver a few beers and you might be surprised what they will try to drive through :Caught:

Even at the risk of Double pictures? :hystery:

Sorry Mr "H" :smile: could not resist this slight digression :console:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

The choice of a Cummins turbo diesel unit is probably a good one

Do you suppose they are cheap because they won't pass emissions testing in the US so they are being sent to Asia?  Just a thought.  Still a good unit but I can envision air quality in Philippines going down fast with the number of diesel pickups on the market.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you suppose they are cheap because they won't pass emissions testing in the US so they are being sent to Asia?  Just a thought.  Still a good unit but I can envision air quality in Philippines going down fast with the number of diesel pickups on the market.

Quite possibly, but I don't know anything specific about the Cummins.

Diesels have received a bad press over the last couple of years regardless of country. They are considerably more polluting than we were previously led to believe. Hence the recent scandals of the likes of VW, et al, in attempting to circumvent emmissions tests by fitting 'cheating chips' in their software. Perhaps petrol is the way of the future. Or electric of course but I have yet to see an electric pick-up truck. Other than a milk float, possibly. Now there's a thought!

Ken

• Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

A lot of the diesel engines are built in Peterborough England ,it used to be the Perkins engine factory ,but these days they badge the engines for a few different car companies

It's the fuel thats the problem ,if you run your diesel on a vegetable oil mix then apart from smelling like a deep fat fryer your emissions are greatly reduced 

The veggy oil mix works best on the older engines with fewer mod cons on them 

I ran a shogun/pajero on a 50/50 mix with no problems

Van diesel who originally designed the engine , intended it to be used in third world countries and for it to run on vegetable oil

• Hmm thinking 2