Practicing Medicine in the Philippines

Corey
Posted
Posted

Thank you to all for all the very informative content.  I have been lurking here for awhile learning what I can.  I was not able to PM Bruce directly, but it may be just as well as there may be others with good info.

I am a medical practitioner who would like to perform some service in the Philippines. I lived there for two years in my younger years and want to be more active in a charitable way as I wrap up my career here in the states.  I would almost look to do things other than medicine (teach etc) just because I dont know all the pitfalls I could get myself into.

Bruce seems to be going around and just "doing the right thing" and sometimes that seems to involve the practice of medicine.  Is there any official clearances you need or that are available to make this legit or is that even needed? 

I am so unfamiliar with Phils law, that I would not know where to begin, but fear being my own worst enemy and getting into trouble with the authorities.  It sure would be nice if you could help people and not have too much personal liability.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Aswang said:

I am so unfamiliar with Phils law, that I would not know where to begin, but fear being my own worst enemy and getting into trouble with the authorities.

You are not alone in this.  Philippine law acts differently with different people.  For example, a filipina witch doctor in the hills may be able to perform surgery whereas a foreigner may be charged for prescribing a pill.  (Just an example, do not take that too literally).

But you ask where to begin.  I suggest you "find yourself" as in locate the place you want to be where you can do the most good and then become good friends with the captain of the barangay you are living in.  Anything you want to do, bounce it off him first.  Be prepared to cover all expenses out of your own pocket though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Corey said:

I am so unfamiliar with Phils law, that I would not know where to begin, but fear being my own worst enemy and getting into trouble with the authorities.  It sure would be nice if you could help people and not have too much personal liability.

This may answer your question

2.  What is Special Temporary Permit?

A Special Temporary Permit is a license issued by PRC to a qualified  foreign member of the medical team.  This enables a foreign professional to practice his profession in the country during the conduct of medical mission.  As required under Philippine laws  no foreigner physician or a health related professional is allowed to practice profession in the Philippines without  a Special Temporary Permit.  To apply for STPs, submit the documentary requirements to PRC-IAD.

Professional Regulation Commission - International Affairs Division (PRC-IAD)

Other info, http://uhmis3.doh.gov.ph/fsmm/mainmenulist.php

https://joycemeyer.org/handofhope/philippines

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Bruce seems to be going around and just "doing the right thing" and sometimes that seems to involve the practice of medicine.

Bruce is a registered nurse and running a registered charity. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Corey
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This may answer your question

2.  What is Special Temporary Permit?

A Special Temporary Permit is a license issued by PRC to a qualified  foreign member of the medical team.  This enables a foreign professional to practice his profession in the country during the conduct of medical mission.  As required under Philippine laws  no foreigner physician or a health related professional is allowed to practice profession in the Philippines without  a Special Temporary Permit.  To apply for STPs, submit the documentary requirements to PRC-IAD.

Professional Regulation Commission - International Affairs Division (PRC-IAD)

Other info, http://uhmis3.doh.gov.ph/fsmm/mainmenulist.php

https://joycemeyer.org/handofhope/philippines

Bruce is a registered nurse and running a registered charity. :thumbsup:

Like I say I am specifically ignorant of Philippines law ( I have practiced in a dozen countries in South and Central America though).  A country that makes you apply for  a volunteer visa seems one that is protective of their space- a new concept to me- volunteer visa.  I am totally interested and hopefully Bruce responds as I say it seems he feels free to do what he feels is right. Generally being registered as a health practitioner does not give one any rights to practice in another country unless there is formal reciprocity.  I can find no evidence of such on the web.  I would love it if there is.    It is all good and no one really cares until you have one bad case and then all the scrutiny and finger pointing begins.  At least that is my experience in medicine.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Corey said:

it seems he feels free to do what he feels is right.

Bruce has a very powerful personality and he is a very smart man.  Were he to respond he would surely tell you what he feels is right, but IMHO what is right for one person may get another in trouble.

This is Philippines.  It is not known to be a country of black and white, right and wrong.  It is known to be a country of:  These are the laws, here are the ones we are enforcing this week and here are the nationalities they are being enforced against.  Bruce could only do what he does by having the respect and encouragement of local enforcement agencies and that will vary depending where you locate. 

The actual law says:

Foreign physicians and health-related professionals are not allowed to practice their professions in the Philippines without a Special Permit issued by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
Note: Only foreign physicians, whose country grants reciprocity for Philippine physicians to practice, may be granted Special Permits by the PRC.

http://www.newyorkpcg.org/the-consulate/our-services/legal-and-notarial/foreign-medical-missions-to-the-philippines

Edit:  I did notice that JGF referred to this law but I did not see where he pointed out that "Only foreign physicians, whose country grants reciprocity for Philippine physicians to practice, may be granted Special Permits by the PRC"

Does the USA grant reciprocity to Philippine physicians?  I don't think so, which makes everything you wish to do a grey area of the law where you do what you think is right and take the consequences if you piss off the wrong people.  That's normal life in Philippines and it is why many here keep a "low profile".

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Thanks 1

Corey
Posted
Posted

Yes, I saw a copy of that somewhere and no- the US does not provide reciprocity with the Philippines.  My current thought is to try to get some type of "internship" utilizing a local physician as the responsible mentor and working under their direction and licence.  Some charities advertise this kind of experience.  Helping people in the Phils seems worthwhile.  Ending up in a Phils prison does not.  I appreciate the feedback.  I pretty much know there is no easy way to accomplish this...it is just a matter of looking for the most safe and effective manner to accomplish it. That is why all thoughts and ideas are appreciated...besides just the good will of anyone willing to think about my issues.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Corey said:

.besides just the good will of anyone willing to think about my issues.

My nephew ( A registered nurse here) reminded me that every now and then we get a visit from the US Embassy and they bring Opticians, Dentists and others to an outreach and treat many Free of Charge (Yes Free) Now these are locals not Expat patents. (Mainly Children and Old) I wonder if you could enquire at your Embassy and see what they can help you with :wink:

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My nephew ( A registered nurse here) reminded me that every now and then we get a visit from the US Embassy and they bring Opticians, Dentists and others to an outreach and treat many Free of Charge (Yes Free) Now these are locals not Expat patents.

I have no doubts about your statement.  What has me smiling is imagining a plane load of Philippine Opticians, Dentists and others showing up at a US location and treating the local people free of charge.  :hystery:  Considering the Americans who complain about the cost of their healthcare, one would imagine there are many in the US who need these free services and would welcome them.  I would not expect the US Government agencies to be among the welcoming committee.  Makes me wonder what Duterte thinks of that. :photo-109:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Makes me wonder what Duterte thinks of that. :photo-109:

Who knows what he thinks of anything BUT here is something that member @Coreymay be interested in looking at :thumbsup:

https://www.vhicf.org/what-we-do/medical-outreaches/

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

@Corey had a trawl through things and came up with this page that you may find useful.

@Jollygoodfellow sorry boss if it is out of Order, it is a Google page but I thought it might help Cory,

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=us+mefdical+outreahes+in+the+philippines&rlz=1C1GIWA_enPH638PH638&oq=us+mefdical+outreahes+in+the+philippines&aqs=chrome..69i57.14743j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jack :smile: