Practicing Medicine in the Philippines

Corey
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

My nephew ( A registered nurse here) reminded me that every now and then we get a visit from the US Embassy and they bring Opticians, Dentists and others to an outreach and treat many Free of Charge (Yes Free) Now these are locals not Expat patents. (Mainly Children and Old) I wonder if you could enquire at your Embassy and see what they can help you with :wink:

I have done this kind of work before, in central and South America.  I have never done it on my own freelance, but with a large org.  The org negotiates all the details and the countries generally cut you no slack.  You basically dig up every certificate you ever earned, fill out lots of paperwork and then get cleared to do whatever it is you specifically negotiated to do for the country for the specified period.  It would be ideal to not be so constrained.  Besides, most the missions, excluding surgical and dental services, dont really help that many people- even though you see many people.  Most people come because it is free and you try to wade through all the chronic disease (High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Back Pain or complications of chronic diseases) that giving a few pills of whatever is not going to fix, to catch the rare acute illness ( like baby with pneumonia) that you can actually treat.  That is why it seems free form like Bruce seems much more ideal. Help people when and where you think you can be useful.

• Like 2

Corey
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Who knows what he thinks of anything BUT here is something that member @Coreymay be interested in looking at :thumbsup:

https://www.vhicf.org/what-we-do/medical-outreaches/

Thanks for this link.  Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I have done before, but not in the Philippines.  Maybe I will join them for a mission just to learn more about the situation on the ground.  I have lived in the Philippines before and am specifically interested in helping in the Philippines, but never have done any medical work there before.  

Probably the best thing I ever did on a mission was arrange for one charity to buy the deworming meds and have the other charity administer them.  We were able to deworm 5000 kids.  Yes, they just get the worms back, but literature has shown that the kids do measurably better over time even with a single deworming.  That 6 months where their body is able to benefit from nutrients helps them long term I guess.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2018 at 1:32 AM, Corey said:

Thank you to all for all the very informative content.  I have been lurking here for awhile learning what I can.  I was not able to PM Bruce directly, but it may be just as well as there may be others with good info.

I am a medical practitioner who would like to perform some service in the Philippines. I lived there for two years in my younger years and want to be more active in a charitable way as I wrap up my career here in the states.  I would almost look to do things other than medicine (teach etc) just because I dont know all the pitfalls I could get myself into.

Bruce seems to be going around and just "doing the right thing" and sometimes that seems to involve the practice of medicine.  Is there any official clearances you need or that are available to make this legit or is that even needed? 

I am so unfamiliar with Phils law, that I would not know where to begin, but fear being my own worst enemy and getting into trouble with the authorities.  It sure would be nice if you could help people and not have too much personal liability.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I can get you the contact details of a doctor in Davao , he lectures at the University to medical students , if Davao is on your horizons,  his wife is also a doctor at the DAVAO  hospital,  don't know if that's any use to you 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My recommendation is to join a volunteer group like the Aloha Medical Mission based in Honolulu. (They have a website.)  At least once a year, a group goes to the Philippines.  They will take care of the paperwork requirements. Founded by a Filipino doctor, Aloha Medical Mission has well established contacts. It's an opportunity to meet local medical care providers who can assist you meeting others such as directors of medical schools who need faculty. 

Bruce does not practice in the Philippines. He organizes the shipment of old, but still useful medical equipment and donated medical supplies from Hollywood, Florida. He has or had a clinic in Catbalogan, Samar, staffed by Philippine nurses, but my recollection is keeping the clinic open was difficult because the monetary donations were limited and your facility is swamped when the community hears the word, "free." Samar is also one of the poorest areas in the Philippines.

We met a retired pediatrician in Cuenca, Ecuador who volunteered his services for one day a week at the local hospital. The need is great and before he realized it, the volunteer work was six days a week. Same thing will happen to you in the Philippines.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

For what it's worth. The OP has not visited this forum since April so unless he responds soon then its a waste of time. :thumbsup:

Corey
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

For what it's worth. The OP has not visited this forum since April so unless he responds soon then its a waste of time. :thumbsup:

Sorry- come here almost daily, but usually not logged in.  

Corey
Posted
Posted
On 8/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, JJReyes said:

My recommendation is to join a volunteer group like the Aloha Medical Mission based in Honolulu. (They have a website.)  At least once a year, a group goes to the Philippines.  They will take care of the paperwork requirements. Founded by a Filipino doctor, Aloha Medical Mission has well established contacts. It's an opportunity to meet local medical care providers who can assist you meeting others such as directors of medical schools who need faculty. 

Bruce does not practice in the Philippines. He organizes the shipment of old, but still useful medical equipment and donated medical supplies from Hollywood, Florida. He has or had a clinic in Catbalogan, Samar, staffed by Philippine nurses, but my recollection is keeping the clinic open was difficult because the monetary donations were limited and your facility is swamped when the community hears the word, "free." Samar is also one of the poorest areas in the Philippines.

We met a retired pediatrician in Cuenca, Ecuador who volunteered his services for one day a week at the local hospital. The need is great and before he realized it, the volunteer work was six days a week. Same thing will happen to you in the Philippines.

I agree that in the beginning it makes sense to work with a group that already is working on the ground rather than trying to recreate the wheel.  After getting oriented, it might make sense to do something focused and directed where I want my emphasis.  

Yes, "free" is a strong motivator.  Studies have shown that even a small co-pay (like 5 dollars) reduces the amount of ER visits in the US.  It is probably always good for people to have skin in the game. 

Thanks for the input!

• Like 2