ExPat getogether Experiences

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes we caucasians are of a different phenotype to our wives who are of polynesian extraction.

Yes maybe But :571c66d400c8c_1(103): the man is obviously just not integrating even after 10+ years, For me we should think before we send :huh: call it what you want if you ain't happy here there is an Alternative So as I often say Bad mood and attitude.jpg

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jack but when I read it I just took it as a turn of phrase and passed on.

• Hmm thinking 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 2/28/2018 at 3:32 AM, PeterC said:

Having lived here for over 10 years please allow me to offer my experiences to new expats considering forming a regular meeting.                                                The benefits of chatting to your own alien species one in a while is just wonderful, subjects such as daily comparisons with foreign life, memories shared about original country living give so much pleasure.  We all have our standards and its not uncommon for us to choose similar Filipinos as partners from the same standard of our lives (almost). Meeting a new expat is great to offer the meeting place and discuss timings etc. I accosted several expats in SM or round about San Pablo and they in turn met others and welcomed them to the group.  I began with us 4 UK guys and we got on very well. Then some other nationalities arrived and meetings expanded to peoples homes for events such as the Manny Paqiou fights. Problems arose with the wives who joined together and gossiped about weird stuff that should not have been talked about such as who got the most pensions and who spent the most money and who had the most expensive house etc.   Despite this we had some memorable events with Kareoke and jokes etc. I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND THAT EXPAT GROUPS ARE FOR JUST THE EXPATS AND WITHOUT WIVES. Our group in San Pablo split up 3 ways and if something was said that a wife didn't like, she would not let her husband attend the meetings. We lost 3 nice guys because of gossip by the wives and it was the guys who were disadvantaged.                                                Blokes can usually get on with other blokes what ever their background and its very enjoyable, even if you wouldn't necessarily be friend back in your home country, a regular monthly meet is welcomed. 

I'm sorry that you guys split up.  Is the group still going but with a few less members?  I guess it all depends on how secure your significant other is.  Some Filipinas just love to try and make others jealous.  My wife doesn't like that sort of woman and (of course) wouldn't want me to associate with them.  Even though we've been married 32 years she's still pretty protective.  Ok...a bit jealous also.  She seems to think sometimes that other Filipinos will try to steal me away from her. :hungover_40_anim_gif:

So keeping it just the guys is a pretty good idea but keeping the wives away may not be practical.:SugarwareZ-005:

I still hope to meet up with you guys after I retire.  We are still planning on living in San Pablo.  Regards my friend.

• Like 4

PeterC
Posted
Posted

We have just met a new couple from Grimsby that we get on well with and listening to their problems with the wives 2 teenage daughters who have been looked after by grandma whilst she has worked abroad. Splitting families up cannot be helped of financial support is desperately needed and its hard work making contact again.  Dave is a strong willed chap who enjoys the motorcycle world but driving in the Philippines takes some adjustment to being easily riled is not the thing to help. I admit to driving like a Filipino but as they say "when in Rome".                                 Just had an accident repair on 2 panels of year old Avanza where I miscalculated the  overtaking distance by a Jeepney and it cost 29,000 pesos but for me 8,000 on the insurance. One scrape in 11 years not bad I suppose, mustn't get too cocky.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 2/28/2018 at 9:32 PM, PeterC said:

I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND THAT EXPAT GROUPS ARE FOR JUST THE EXPATS AND WITHOUT WIVES.

Peter I fully agree regardless of other comments, and with your wealth of experience in the PI's, it can be frustrating to go day after day without hearing a common word from your own language. PI people are a great bunch of people, but a simple phase that English speaking people say in jest, can become a world war three event to a PI. Even a simple word can have a different meaning, but to sit with an English speaking person can be rewarding in its own right. Every time i go over there my ears are pricked to hear a familiare English speaking word.

Yes I know, a lot of PI's can speak English, but they don't understand the meaning of the words, well done Peter. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeterC
Posted
Posted

I think most readers are from abroad and these forums offers some real good advice or even info that may effect new comers to these shores. Back at home when a pretty lady comes your way, she gets all the looks and glances, in the Philippines its us foreigners who attract the looks or should I say stares. Now I know what it feels like to be on the other side of the coin!  whether we are with wives or not all the ladies will stare at you hoping for an admiring return glance or whatever. My local Mcdos where I go almost every day for egg mcmuffin and large coffee is full of pretty girl server and in the past I've had welcoming comments written on the top of the free newspapers .....until my wife put paid to that haha.

This is a situation that has to be realised and be comfortable with because we all know that we are the family saver for any young lady looking for financial support irrespective of age or position.

Its a weird feeling and doesn't happen until a few years down the line. All the local shop people ask after us by name and my senior citizen discount comes automatically from some places without me producing the card.

I liken it being treated as a VIP and it makes you realise how living as a real one would give trouble trying to live an ordinary life.

As said almost all Filipinos understand English but there are very few willing to make conversation, preferring to make a smile and walk on. Thank goodness for English newspapers... free with Mcdos!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If I'm out and about and run across another expat, I'll nod a greeting but usually carry on.  I think most people here in Davao are settled into their lives and their friends...  And, funny enough, my best friend here is a Filipino and I might see him once a month...  Sometimes twice a month...  He's the one who will usually introduce me to others expats...

As for language nuances?  I came down with an extremely weird illness three (four?) days ago with a high fever, nonstop cough and passing gas with every cough...  No joke!  I feel like an overfilled balloon someone is letting air out of in short bursts.  I jokingly told Amazing Asawa that I felt like I was going to die.  A couple hours later I got the word from Canada - AA had sat in the other room crying while waiting for anyone in my family to come on Facebook because she didn't know what to do when I died.  Oops..!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, i am bob said:

If I'm out and about and run across another expat, I'll nod a greeting but usually carry on.  I think most people here in Davao are settled into their lives and their friends...  And, funny enough, my best friend here is a Filipino and I might see him once a month...  Sometimes twice a month...  He's the one who will usually introduce me to others expats...

As for language nuances?  I came down with an extremely weird illness three (four?) days ago with a high fever, nonstop cough and passing gas with every cough...  No joke!  I feel like an overfilled balloon someone is letting air out of in short bursts.  I jokingly told Amazing Asawa that I felt like I was going to die.  A couple hours later I got the word from Canada - AA had sat in the other room crying while waiting for anyone in my family to come on Facebook because she didn't know what to do when I died.  Oops..!

Sorry to hear about your death. Hopefully someone will inform us when the worms are overfed. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sorry to hear about your death. Hopefully someone will inform us when the worms are overfed. :huh:

I've lost over 35 kilos from the time I first joined the forum...  Not enough left for the worms...  Ok, there's always the belly...  Hehe!

• Like 1