TRAIN Tax Reform

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I think the poorest will be hit hard. Most already pay very little, if any, income tax but  now the daily taxes are going up. So far I have only noticed increases on gas and cokes, but I am sure more prices will rise. If not directly from the new tax (like coke & gas) then from delivery prices going up because of the gas hikes.  So almost everything will go up to cover the new delivery costs. 

• Like 2

Petey
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2018 at 9:31 AM, OnMyWay said:

I think his premise is that poor people will pay more for goods and services because the overall tax plan will increase prices on the basic things the poor purchase.  I don't know enough about it to comment one way or the other.

Exactly. People still need to buy goods and services, and its obvious that these prices will go up because of the reform.

4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Although the have changed the tax threshold it will hit some of the poorer people.There have been increases on petrol and gas along with some other things.Trike and jeepney drivers along with taxi drivers now have to find more money to do their jobs.Will there,has there been an increase in fares so again the poor who rely on trikes and jeepneys will also be hit.

If the price at the gas pump goes up, then the fairs have to go up to compensate this. Trikes and Jeepneys are the main mode of transport for the poorest.

53 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I think the poorest will be hit hard. Most already pay very little, if any, income tax but  now the daily taxes are going up. So far I have only noticed increases on gas and cokes, but I am sure more prices will rise. If not directly from the new tax (like coke & gas) then from delivery prices going up because of the gas hikes.  So almost everything will go up to cover the new delivery costs. 

Agreed. Even though there are certain items that won't be effected by the Tax directly, they still need to be delivered, and it's certain they won't be delivered for free.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

...and it is starting...

Gas has gone up enough that the jeepney association is asking for a rate hike from p6.5 to p10.  At the grocers today I noticed that a 2 liter of diet coke has gone from p55 to p67. Tang has gone from p9.5 to p16.75.  The clerk actually stopped ringing up the groceries to tell me about the Tang increase and ask if I still wanted it - they must be getting a lot of complaints.  This new tax law is going to kill the poor!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

This new tax law is going to kill the poor!

Do the real poor buy coke or tang or even use jeepneys? Im talking about the poor who live in squatter areas. 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So what is the price of fuel  for a vehicle at this moment in the Philippines .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

So what is the price of fuel  for a vehicle at this moment in the Philippines .

I paid 45 piso a litre this morning (Unleaded) it is up and down just now as price wars seem to be coming 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Do the real poor buy coke or tang or even use jeepneys? Im talking about the poor who live in squatter areas. 

I get the feeling that as long as the Little store owners play the Game, many will not notice much Difference. here on Negros we have a similar packet juice powder to tang, not sweet and is 1/2 the cost. If some want it sweet then the price has to be paid

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

...and it is starting...

Gas has gone up enough that the jeepney association is asking for a rate hike from p6.5 to p10.  At the grocers today I noticed that a 2 liter of diet coke has gone from p55 to p67. Tang has gone from p9.5 to p16.75.  The clerk actually stopped ringing up the groceries to tell me about the Tang increase and ask if I still wanted it - they must be getting a lot of complaints.  This new tax law is going to kill the poor!

But there's no sugar in diet coke. I thought this was a sugar tax.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

I thought this was a sugar tax.

:hystery: Gary my friend, it is a get you where we can tax, They have learned now that it is the populous ( the eaners) that will pay for this in the real sense, the Gentry and dynasties will find a way round it  :wink:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

But there's no sugar in diet coke. I thought this was a sugar tax.

It is also (mostly) sugar free tang... must be an Aspartame tax  ha ha 

• Like 1