American seeks Domestic Adoption of filipino child

TJB
Posted
Posted

And, once the adoption is final, and the child has been in your physical and legal custody for 2 years, and is under the age of 18, and if you plan to continue to reside in the Philippines, you should qualify to apply for US citizenship for your adopted child with the N600K process (USCIS).  We are in that process now....

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Congratulations to you and your husband. 

Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

buildmaint
Posted
Posted

First of all congratulations for your lovely family. If bureaucracy was serving the public interest as they should I believe this would greatly reduce poverty and lack of education and stability in many children's life. I know more people would participate in the adoption process. I am going to follow your leads and want to thank you. I will contact my department of human services and state department. Could I ask how you persuaded them to help you? I tried before and they were so stubborn.

Regards

• Like 1

TJB
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, buildmaint said:

First of all congratulations for your lovely family. If bureaucracy was serving the public interest as they should I believe this would greatly reduce poverty and lack of education and stability in many children's life. I know more people would participate in the adoption process. I am going to follow your leads and want to thank you. I will contact my department of human services and state department. Could I ask how you persuaded them to help you? I tried before and they were so stubborn.

Regards

I agree, that they definitely should make it easier for people trying to help!!  To answer your question..... We had received a court order from our judge here that we had 30 days to comply with the requirements, so out of complete desperation, I posted on Facebook, asking if anyone knew anyone that could help.  Someone tagged an Arkansas Senator, and he contacted me. I explained to him our situation.  Thankfully he wanted to help, so he contacted someone in the governors office, and they contacted Department of Human Services..... So, you can try contacting a State Senator.... I also found an adoption attorney in Arkansas that was willing to help create a document. He was going to charge $50 an hour, but thankfully it ended up not needing to be done that way...... (I was just trying everything I could think of until something worked.)  We already had our son since birth and I was not willing to let some crazy requirement get in our way of keeping him!!  Have you had your matching yet?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm reading this with interest. This is exciting didn't think it possible. Please tell me more....

• Like 1

buildmaint
Posted
Posted

We are currently working with the dswd representative. She has been a close friend of ours and a guest at each other's homes for various occasions. She is complying with her supervisors requests for the documents described. There will be a meeting on April 19 and she will discuss with them other available options in this particular case.  So as of yet no pairing. However our son is currently living with us. I can relate to the roller coaster of hope and despair you dealt with and thank you for giving your advice. I can sleep easier😊

• Like 1

TJB
Posted
Posted

29 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I'm reading this with interest. This is exciting didn't think it possible. Please tell me more....

This is the adoption law in the Philippines.https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1998/ra_8552_1998.html

Article III, Section 7 (b) gives special requirements for foreigners.

TJB
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, buildmaint said:

We are currently working with the dswd representative. She has been a close friend of ours and a guest at each other's homes for various occasions. She is complying with her supervisors requests for the documents described. There will be a meeting on April 19 and she will discuss with them other available options in this particular case.  So as of yet no pairing. However our son is currently living with us. I can relate to the roller coaster of hope and despair you dealt with and thank you for giving your advice. I can sleep easier😊

That’s great! Hopefully your roller coaster will be smoother than ours was😊 You may have to fight through it, but I’m sure it’ll all work out.  Another option I looked into to fulfill the “capacity to adopt” requirement is filing a I-600A. (Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition.  This USCIS form shows that the parents are qualified to adopt.)..... It is usually used for international adoptions.  I just couldn’t figure out how to provide them with a home study report from someone authorised by them. I didn’t know if they’d accept the home study prepared here.  I think approval for this takes several months.   I was told it wouldn’t be necessary, and then when we realized it really was necessary in our case, we didn’t have time to figure it out and wait for this because we were only given 30 days to comply....... So this may be another option for you to consider, but I would try working with local offices in your state first.  

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

As an adopted  person myself , I would like to say that your posts have brought happiness  to my day , I was given over to an adoption agency at 8 days old and picked up at 18 days old by my parents , well done to you guys for not giving up 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Buddy, I was also adopted as a baby.

Back to topic. I thought it was next to impossible for a non Filipino citizen to adopt a Filipino baby even living in the Philippines. Frankly I'm surprised to learn this information.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2