USS Bremerton Visits Subic Bay On Final Tour

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Any of you guys serve on the Bremerton?  After 40 years of service the sub will be retired and is making the rounds in the pacific area.  I saw on FB the commander was in Olongapo meeting with the mayor, etc.

http://www.manilatimes.net/us-attack-submarine-visits-subic-bay/383510/

A picture I took this afternoon from across the bay:

P1340498 (2).JPG

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Any of you guys serve on the Bremerton?  After 40 years of service the sub will be retired and is making the rounds in the pacific area.  I saw on FB the commander was in Olongapo meeting with the mayor, etc.

http://www.manilatimes.net/us-attack-submarine-visits-subic-bay/383510/

A picture I took this afternoon from across the bay:

P1340498 (2).JPG

Man, I am getting old. While I was stationed at the sub base in New London, CT these Los Angeles class fast attack subs were the new and sexy boats to get stationed on.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

Man, I am getting old. While I was stationed at the sub base in New London, CT these Los Angeles class fast attack subs were the new and sexy boats to get stationed on.

Earthdome is getting modest here.  He also served on board a "boomer" as well as fast attack submarines.  As a nuclear propulsion engineer, he wears that "dome" to keep out the negative waves.  Having that dolphin pin is much more prestigious than a surface warfare pin, in my opinion. 

They are the true warriors of the sea.  Us surface pukes are nothing but easy targets for them.  Respectfully Jake, topside ETCM non-nuke 

• Like 4

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Jake,

You are all just taxi drivers for us Marines.... Just kidding have a lot of respect for our sailors whether above or below the waves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Jake,

You are all just taxi drivers for us Marines.... Just kidding have a lot of respect for our sailors whether above or below the waves.

One of your taxis is also in port, USNS Brunswick:

P1340488 (2).JPG

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Quick vessels those, 43 knot capability isn't exactly slow.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jake said:

Earthdome is getting modest here.  He also served on board a "boomer" as well as fast attack submarines.  As a nuclear propulsion engineer, he wears that "dome" to keep out the negative waves.  Having that dolphin pin is much more prestigious than a surface warfare pin, in my opinion. 

They are the true warriors of the sea.  Us surface pukes are nothing but easy targets for them.  Respectfully Jake, topside ETCM non-nuke 

Thanks Jake but I never served on a fast attack. I was assigned for a few months to the NR-1  during some major reactor maintenance. Later I was asked if I wanted to serve on the NR-1 but I already had orders for shore duty so I declined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_submarine_NR-1

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

One of your taxis is also in port, USNS Brunswick:

P1340488 (2).JPG

Interesting looking vessel, so I googled it.  I guess the US Navy consider this type of fast transport vessel as a quick all purpose pick up truck, although it can haul much more troops with their "toys".   And get there real quick, about 40 knots (44mph).  

USN TRUCK.jpg

Too bad it doesn't appear to have any weapons to protect itself, like a couple of CIWS (close in weapons system):

CIWS.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jake, I think it has 3-4 guns.  Look on you tube for some nice videos of the fast transports.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it’s best not to advertise. I would think it could provide a nasty surprise. ☠️☠️☠️

• Like 1