Mash- star David Ogden Stiers dies

Recommended Posts

Posted

Took me a little while to warm to his character but another good one passes on. 

 

Actor David Ogden Stiers, who played Major Winchester in the long-running TV show M*A*S*H, has died aged 75.

Stiers died at his Oregon home yesterday after a "courageous battle with bladder cancer", his agent Mitchell K Stubbs tweeted.

"His talent was only surpassed by his heart," Stubbs wrote.

As well as playing Major Charles Emerson Winchester III in M*A*S*H from 1977 to 1983, Stiers is well known for his voice work.

In Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Stiers voiced Cogsworth and the opening narration.

He voiced Governor Ratcliffe in Pocahontas, the Archdeacon in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Jumba Jookiba in Lilo & Stitch, and other Disney characters.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/04/13/53/mash-star-david-ogden-stiers-dies-aged-75

Winchester.gif

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Took me a little while to warm to his character but another good one passes on. 

 

Actor David Ogden Stiers, who played Major Winchester in the long-running TV show M*A*S*H, has died aged 75.

Stiers died at his Oregon home yesterday after a "courageous battle with bladder cancer", his agent Mitchell K Stubbs tweeted.

"His talent was only surpassed by his heart," Stubbs wrote.

As well as playing Major Charles Emerson Winchester III in M*A*S*H from 1977 to 1983, Stiers is well known for his voice work.

In Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Stiers voiced Cogsworth and the opening narration.

He voiced Governor Ratcliffe in Pocahontas, the Archdeacon in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Jumba Jookiba in Lilo & Stitch, and other Disney characters.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/04/13/53/mash-star-david-ogden-stiers-dies-aged-75

Winchester.gif

Thanks for the post JGF, in my opinion Mash is one of the best shows ever on tv, I never get tired of watching it.  Once he settled in Winchester was a class act, a great addition to the programme.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

Mash was one of my favorite shows back in the day, and like others it took me a while to start enjoying the character but after a while he became a genuinely valuable part of the show.

 

Sad to hear he's gone (it seems like more and more of the actors I know are passing...)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Sad to hear he's gone (it seems like more and more of the actors I know are passing...)

 

Yes Geoff, it was one of the best shows I've watched and never got tired of watching repeat episodes. Do you think that line might be telling us something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
4 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Do you think that line might be telling us something.

 

Oh... I know it is, but we're still here for now and that's better than the alternative (at least for most of us).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...