Am I considered a senior in the Philippines?

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

Three times in the last two days I am in the senior line only to have a Filipino abruptly cut in front of me when it was my turn. The first time I laughed it off. The second time I was annoyed. The third time at the BPI bank I was pissed off and wanted to grab the bitch and throw her out on her fat ass!!! Of course I refrained for the obvious reasons.  So, as a 68 yr old foreigner, am I not a senior or are we considered just second class seniors? Interesting to note that after being in the Philippines for four years, this has only happened since I've been in Dumaguete. WTH!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

am I not a senior or are we considered just second class seniors?

Got it in one!

You are a senior, but not a senior citizen.  I have complained to one company's head office (Mercury Drugs) and got a reply back that they would inform the staff that all seniors are equal, but you are dealing with a culture that has an inferiority complex and any time they can get an advantage over a foreigner they will take it.

So you cannot legally get the government mandated senior citizen discount but you are entitled to non monetary benefits of being a senior.  Just be prepared to fight the other customers and local staff.  When I get in a mood I insist on my right to stand in the senior's line and show my Philippine driver's license and they back down.  Or they used to when I had a plastic one :bonk:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not quite a senior yet but it does p me off a bit when some take advantage if it when there's no need. I was in a taxi queue at the airport and first in line. There was just one Filipino behind me and as the taxi arrived he said something to the controller then pushed in front. Saying he is a senior. I could understand if the queue was large but there was about 5 taxis lined up and only us there. The guy had already taken my details down and had to write a new one out for the local.

My partner with me at the time jokingly said " Aren't you a senior also? " The local looked and me and I said nice and loud " Yes but he looks as if he'll be dead soon so is probably more in need ." :1927_:

It wouldn't have been bad but the guy was in full health and even threw his heavy bags in the trunk of the taxi. 

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Im 71yrs old and the looks i get when we ride a jeepney and the wife says 2 seniors !

In our local Robinsons we are well known by the staff and the security guys, and my wife insists on going to the front of the tills as she is a senior, which embarresses me ! 

The thing is though the security guys wave us through to the front of the tills.

Cant argue with that ! 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

The thing is though the security guys wave us through to the front of the tills.

Cant argue with that ! 

AH! but that is where the problem starts :shock_40_anim_gif:

davewe
Posted
Posted

I usually don't care and normally don't need the benefit but on our recent trip to Thailand I took advantage of it twice. The first time at the Cebu airport where we knew the line for a taxi would take at least 1/2 hour. I asked the guy whether I could avail of the senior line and he said yes. So me and my 29 year old wife waited in the senior line and got a taxi within 5 minutes.

A week later we were back in Cebu City at the South bus terminal waiting for the bus south with a very long line. Again I asked the guy if I could use the senior line and he said yes. The wife and I got out of the regular line and took a place in the senior line. Now the guy asked for my senior citizen card. The wife "fibbed" and said in Visayan that I hadn't been able to pick it up yet. Sure it was a lie but after I had politely asked and been told Ok and we had left our spot in the regular line, I was all for doing whatever it took to get on that bus.

Now in either case, whether other people looked at us badly - well I'm not sure that I care. I have no problems if I am told that I am not eligible but have no problem at least asking the question. As far as lines at stores, I have done it a few times and most of those times either the checker or another customer encouraged me to get in the senior line. Perhaps I look like I am gonna kick off if I stay too long in the regular line. 

• Like 2

softail
Posted
Posted

I have been really surprised that I have been able to use the senior discount a restaurants, my family encouraged me to try and it has worked every time. Saves quite a bit of money. I am just a visitor and have no card and have never been asked for it,

bows00
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are a senior, but not a senior citizen

Very nicely said Dave...

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Never had a problem, I always lean on a flimsy display stand at the checkout, a guard generally rushes over to help me get into the seniors line and a couple of wobbles after paying, my items are carried out by the packing person and a tryke found.

Also if in a department store with the wife shopping, find a flimsy bench to lean against, I'll bet your bums sitting on a chair within minutes, their very protective of their display counters, ha ha. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My Amazing Asawa is in her 20s, our Little Angel is 6 months and 5 days old, and we usually are out together.  Even though I'm finally old enough to qualify, I'd be too embarrassed to use the senior line as a senior!  Luckily here, most places will have regular lines at the seniors checkout and seniors either move to the front or, like most, don't care.

• Like 1