Building house in BIRI Northern Samar

voxman
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

My wife and I own some beach front property on her native island of Biri in Samar North East of Catarman in Northern Samar. There have been many large beautiful homes built there. But I haven't found anyone there who can direct me to a builder or even give advice. Has anyone in this forum had any experience building home or their home in Samar or even in the BIRI Islands?

Thanks Voxman

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Not In Samar Voxman, but we did build a home here in Metro Manila. If you have some general questions I would be happy to help.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, voxman said:

Hi Guys,There have been many large beautiful homes built there. But I haven't found anyone there who can direct me to a builder or even give advice. 

Welcome to the forum - lots of advice already posted here about the building process in various areas. Just take some time and search.

Have you considered knocking on the doors of some of those large and beautiful homes and politely asking who their architects / general contractors are? And what, if any, issues they encountered during the building process.

• Like 5

voxman
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Gator said:

Welcome to the forum - lots of advice already posted here about the building process in various areas. Just take some time and search.

Have you considered knocking on the doors of some of those large and beautiful homes and politely asking who their architects / general contractors are? And what, if any, issues they encountered during the building process.

Yes, most of the owners are gone in their home countries most of the year. I live in Guam and make it back to Samar once a year. My wife is reaching out to some there for a names and email addresses. There are many people there in Samar in General who act as contractors....and hire locals to do the work. But was hoping to find someone more professional. Guess I will continue to ask around thanks

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I knew a fellow in a similar situation who built a mansion in Biliran (not quite Samar but the politics are similar)  and could not find local contractors to do it.  So he brought a contractor, with his crew, to live on site and build it there.  The contractor and crew were from Tacloban.  That might be your answer IF cost is not an issue.

There were some local people who were not happy about it because they thought the work should go to locals, but the first thing the owner did was build a very nice wall around his property and hired security to keep an eye on things.  Then the crew stayed on site for many months until the job was done.

He was the only one in the area to do this so it was like painting a target on his back as he was not exactly "low profile" and last rumor I heard he had abandoned the place due to threats.  He may be back now but I have not checked.

Hope that story gives you some insight on how to do it and why you should not. 

• Like 4