Generika meds

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

Due to a recommendation from a new friend, I have purchased my heart meds from Generika here in Dumaguete City. There is indeed a savings on their generics compared to Mercury Drugs where I have been purchasing my meds since relocating to the Philippines. I am wondering about the quality of their meds. Has anyone looked into this? The place was totally empty whereas Mercury tends to be very crowded. Just wondering!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

I have been purchasing my meds since relocating to the Philippines. I am wondering about the quality of their meds. Has anyone looked into this?

Hi Jeff, yes I use them for the ones that they can supply and as you say at a saving, I have no ill effects from them and have now been using them for over 6 months. I tend to think that the locals just buy what is on the prescription as many do not understand the difference between "Brand" names and the Generic Alternative thus a queue at main line Pharmacies. I use the one opposite to McDos in Midtown and have found them very good. I will say that according to my Doctor there has been no disturbance to my Blood results as a consequence. Let's face it apart from certain Meds it is the Generic Term that matters not who makes it, this where the Cost comes in

Jack :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A doctor I know shops at The Generics for his prescriptions when he needs to so that's where I go too.  For those of you who don't know, Generika and Generics are different companies with different suppliers but both are legit.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Generika and Generics are different companies with different suppliers but both are legit.

Quite so but Generic is the official name of a Drug & is then given a Brand name for the ones that a Particular Drug Company makes:

Generic (official) name

Brand (proprietary or trademark or trade) name:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/drugs/brand-name-and-generic-drugs/overview-of-generic-drugs-and-drug-naming

On Meds we must be sure what we are saying

• Thanks 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Also the name of a pharmacy in the Philippines and their brand of drugs.  Confusing, isn't it?  Hehe!

https://tgp.com.ph

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Also the name of a pharmacy in the Philippines and their brand of drugs.  Confusing, isn't it?  Hehe!

Bob, That is where it can get so bad especially for a local :huh:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hehe!  Yeah, I know...  But they are one of the larger generic drug companies in the Philippines so most people in the area will know about them.

What I do like about both companies is that, because of their names, they really go the distance in the quality control.  Plus, I'm not sure about Generika but I've noticed that Generics post all that they carry with prices on a very large board.  One painkiller is P2 at Generics while I was paying p7 for the same thing (yes, both generics) at a big name drug store.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Hehe!  Yeah, I know...  But they are one of the larger generic drug companies in the Philippines so most people in the area will know about them.

So based on this, can you tell us why so few Filipinos use them and prefer to stay with the High street Pharmacies, The queues  will tell you they do :89:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have used Generika drugstore fo losarten for about 4 years with no side effects.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

Generika and Generics

You need to be more specific to avoid confusion :whistling: "The Generics Pharmacy" and "Generika Drugstore" are two competing chains that supply low cost, prescription and non-prescription drugs.  They both specialize in generic medicines and they also sell items like vitamins which can be lower cost.

My advice is to watch the prices carefully!  The difference in price between these 2 competing pharmacies is often negligible but for some of the items I purchase it can be as much as double from one store to the other.  Even using alternative stores to purchase vitamins can sometimes work out cheaper.  It is easy to get enamored by some of the low prices but if on a small budget then shop both and compare.  One trick they have both tried on me is to start off selling me their cheapest generic brand and as I get to be a regular customer I get bumped up with "Oh sir, we have no stock of the metformin you usually buy at 1 peso per tablet but we have stock of another brand that is only 2 pesos per tablet."  That's when it begins and that's when you need to try somewhere else because from then on they will be selling you the higher priced item.

As to the quality, I started using The Generics Pharmacy 10 years ago and when the Generika Drugstore came on the scene a few years later I tried them too.  So 10 years of ONLY using their generic items and I'm still healthy, I think.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1