I plan to marry a filipina(I'm American)and already have a notarized Freedom for Marriage affidavit from the U.S.Embassy. Assuming my fiance has the same documents from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, what other obstacles,including medical tests, waiting period, etc. will we face?

The only real wait I remember is the mandatory 10 day wait.  They may want you to go to a seminar, and there may some scheduling for that... but it is all pretty easy here.

Looks like you have it covered, went through the process 3 years ago it took about 13 days total. If your wife is young might have to attend a marriage seminar. If time is a factor make an appointment with the judge to marry you when you apply for the license.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sometimes that 10 day waiting requirement can be adjusted due to special circumstances. :shades:

Edit; If you plead your case to the Barangay official in some cases they will alter the waiting period. What I am not suggesting is to offer a bribe or some other unlawful activity. 

Edited by Old55

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Sometimes that 10 day waiting requirement can be adjusted due to special circumstances. :shades:

Not suggesting anything underhanded just sayin.

Hmm.....you mean in less than 10 days, she's gonna pop a baby?  Is that special circumstances?  

Rather than a "shotgun" wedding, perhaps a more dramatic measure would be like a bolo behind you, held by the father.  

Yeah, "jungle rules" apply here.  Depending on which "jungle" you go through......he, he.  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

.you mean in less than 10 days, she's gonna pop a baby? 

That was my case.The woman at the seminar told us to come back a month later,I asked her to look at my wife and she said come back Wednesday.It was important to me(for various reasons) that we were married before Diana was born.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, thailend19 said:

, what other obstacles,including medical tests, waiting period, etc. will we face?

One of the biggest obstacles may be obtaining a letter of consent from her parents if she is under 25.  And even trying to marry a 25 year old I was told by the municipal official that they would still need that.  Fortunately, I have so far dodged that bullet as my enthusiasm for getting married cools as time goes on.  Perhaps that is the intent of all the requirements.  As the saying goes; Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cutting the 10 days short ccould be problematic. When I got married, at the time the UK embassy would use it as a reason from denial for a spouce visa.

• Thanks 1

Go to where you will get your marriage license...  Every city has different rules on what they will allow or even do!

• Hmm thinking 2