deportation of foreigners

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, Snowy79 said:

And then blacklisted for overstaying.

Maybe slightly off topic but my friend here in Cebu where he has lived for 14 years is threatened with blacklist and told to leave the country this week.

The story as I understand it is that the company he worked for made him redundant during covid. His visa still had 4 months so he thought no problem. He started working for a new company about 4 months on from the other.

Now Immigration say he is an overstay and wont listen. Apparently if a job is no longer part of your visa then it expires which I was sure is correct.

His company and lawyers are trying to sort it out. He was offered by the company to move to Indonesia but his wife and 2 kids plus a dependent father of the wife lives with them.

I dont know why he didn't convert to a tourist as I remember a while back we spoke about this so dont know what happened there.

His passport is in Manila so another problem. At the moment if he went back to Canada to wait while this is sorted he is concerned when he could get back.

More fun they say.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe slightly off topic but my friend here in Cebu where he has lived for 14 years is threatened with blacklist and told to leave the country this week.

The story as I understand it is that the company he worked for made him redundant during covid. His visa still had 4 months so he thought no problem. He started working for a new company about 4 months on from the other.

Now Immigration say he is an overstay and wont listen. Apparently if a job is no longer part of your visa then it expires which I was sure is correct.

His company and lawyers are trying to sort it out. He was offered by the company to move to Indonesia but his wife and 2 kids plus a dependent father of the wife lives with them.

I dont know why he didn't convert to a tourist as I remember a while back we spoke about this so dont know what happened there.

His passport is in Manila so another problem. At the moment if he went back to Canada to wait while this is sorted he is concerned when he could get back.

More fun they say.

Correct the work visa dies with the job. His employer should have canceled it and warned him. My friend was in a similar position but fortunately his work warned him that they were canceling his visa and informing immigration so he got a tourist one. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

More fun they say.

3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Correct the work visa dies with the job. His employer should have canceled it and warned him. My friend was in a similar position but fortunately his work warned him that they were canceling his visa and informing immigration so he got a tourist one. 

Wouldn't it be obvious that a Work Visa is nullified when the work comes to an end?  Seems obvious to me.  

soupeod
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

More fun they say.

He could get a waiver ( forget the exact name) from the BI in Manila and put in for a 13a visa (married folks) which allows you to work as well.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Wouldn't it be obvious that a Work Visa is nullified when the work comes to an end?  Seems obvious to me.  

Well yes... in a way.  But if you're in the Phillipines as (for example) 'An English teacher' and you shift schools does that mean you have to them get a new visa?  

I'm talking about if you're doing 'the same job' but with 'a different employer'.

I'd have assumed (and been wrong) that that was ok.

I'd never really thought about it but I'd assumed that Philippines work visas (like those in most countries) allowed a person to undertake employment in a particular category (nurses can change hospitals in Australia for example).

Edited by GeoffH

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Well yes... in a way.  But if you're in the Phillipines as (for example) 'An English teacher' and you shift schools does that mean you have to them get a new visa?  

I would Imagine the DepED would actually hold the Visa so that they can move teachers about but I am not sure a Non Filipino could actually teach in State schools

17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

in a particular category (nurses can change hospitals in Australia for example).

In this case I would imagine the Area or State Health Authorities would hold the Visa not any particular Hospital, we have a niece who trained in Oz and on completion of Training as a Student had to get a new Visa to work so  :whatever:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Some people hang onto the visa without saying anything as I doubt different departments speak to each other.  I don't know enough about the work visa but they can be valid up to 3yrs so maybe some chance it if the job stops earlier. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm talking about if you're doing 'the same job' but with 'a different employer'.

I'd have assumed (and been wrong) that that was ok.

I'd never really thought about it but I'd assumed that Philippines work visas (like those in most countries) allowed a person to undertake employment in a particular category (nurses can change hospitals in Australia for example).

The visa will be sponsored by a particular entity - if you no longer work for that entity then the visa will come to an end.  The entity may be a large organisation which would mean you can move within the organisation freely - such as Jack mentions below with DepEd.  

I have experience of Work Visas in the UK - based on sponsor company/organisation not job type so if you leave the sponsoring organisation the visa ends.  Same in Hong Kong - a company/organisation sponsors the visa. 

I'm not sure the system in Australia is the most common, I'd have expected the UK/Philippines/Hong Kong system is more common.  Sure, there may be special job categories such as nurses/doctors and also the prevalence of agencies employing foreign workers to muddy the waters.  

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Some people hang onto the visa without saying anything as I doubt different departments speak to each other.  I don't know enough about the work visa but they can be valid up to 3yrs so maybe some chance it if the job stops earlier. 

Sure, there will be many not following the system, either knowingly or otherwise.  In Hong Kong it was very common for domestic helpers to pay someone, usually a foreigner living there, to sponsor the employment contract, and then work "self-employed' - very lucrative and very illegal for all concerned. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sure, there will be many not following the system, either knowingly or otherwise.  In Hong Kong it was very common for domestic helpers to pay someone, usually a foreigner living there, to sponsor the employment contract, and then work "self-employed' - very lucrative and very illegal for all concerned. 

My ex was a manager in a care home in Scotland and she found out most of the Filipino workers she had were working on the side. A pain in the butt for her as they would call in sick then go to their other job.  They seamed to not realise many people working in care homes know each other so they soon get caught out. 

• Like 2