The other half

stevewool
Posted
Posted

How many of you have moved to the Philippines to be with your partner in there home town or have you and your partner moved lock stock and barrel to another part of the Philippines and how have you both managed to be with out her family being so close and does she mind too.

Now myself i can start a conversion with  a stray dog if i had too, and yes its better to talk to someone and maybe listen the odd times too but what about your partner, can they start finding new friends and someone to talk too if they are not from that province .

Emma has mentioned about different dialects in different places that do not seem to far from where she would call home, and she says she does not speak that language  but they all can seem to speak some sort of English ,

I have noticed when here in England and we are at a party with other Filipinos they all seem to be talking and getting on very very well, and Emma will say she is from another part of the Phils and they speak another dialect, then again someone from Liverpool ,Birmingham and Newcastle i cannot understand and thats just up the road, so she may have a point.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

then again someone from Liverpool ,Birmingham and Newcastle i cannot understand and thats just up the road, so she may have a point.

I guess there's always sign language.....

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

I guess there's always sign language.....

I am pretty good at those signs with the fingers .:whistling:

• Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

How many of you have moved to the Philippines to be with your partner in there home town or have you and your partner moved lock stock and barrel to another part of the Philippines and how have you both managed to be with out her family being so close and does she mind too.

Now myself i can start a conversion with  a stray dog if i had too, and yes its better to talk to someone and maybe listen the odd times too but what about your partner, can they start finding new friends and someone to talk too if they are not from that province .

Emma has mentioned about different dialects in different places that do not seem to far from where she would call home, and she says she does not speak that language  but they all can seem to speak some sort of English ,

I have noticed when here in England and we are at a party with other Filipinos they all seem to be talking and getting on very very well, and Emma will say she is from another part of the Phils and they speak another dialect, then again someone from Liverpool ,Birmingham and Newcastle i cannot understand and thats just up the road, so she may have a point.

Your stuffed if we ever meet then Steve, I'm Glaswegian:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 4

marine6357
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would suggest you and Emma have a long and serious talk about your respective expectations and concerns.  The best time to reach agreement on where to live and how much help to give is before you move, not after. 

I think this is good advice and I will surely be trying to follow this when the time comes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

family bonds among Filipinos are incredibly strong.  I would suggest you and Emma have a long and serious talk about your respective expectations and concerns.  The best time to reach agreement on where to live and how much help to give is before you move, not after.  Just my own opinion of course.

Very good advice.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm wondering also if like the UK different areas are more known for their friendlines. West coast verses East. North verses South etc. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, stevewool said:

I think she may be exaggerating for emphasis, in the same way that you were (I hope) when you said you can't understand brummies, scousers and geordies. My job in a previous life involved travelling all over the UK and rarely did I have problems with accents. That said, although I'm Scottish, I'd have to agree the broad Glaswegian accent would be up there with the Geordie in terms of difficulty.

My pet hate here is the mixing of English with Tagalog/other dialects in the same sentence - totally illogical.

Edited by hk blues
Spelling
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

My pet hate here is the mixing of English with Tagalog/other dialects in the same sentence - totally illogical.

Indeed.:89:

• Like 3