Busses, Jeepneys, Tricyclcle,..Oh My

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Haha, your right,...the ShoeLeather Express!

And in some areas it is already faster than cars. :hystery::wink: In another forum someone posted that he used one time two and a half hour for just 1.4 km in his car in Manila due extreme traffic congestion. Walking would have been much faster! :whistling:

Because of very terrible traffic I would not like to live in Manila or Cebu. My wife is on the same line. I dunno how the situation in Davao is. Was there last time 9 years ago. 

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Because of very terrible traffic I would not like to live in Manila or Cebu

Although traffic can be bad in Cebu I would not say it's all the time. When you can you travel at the quieter times. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When you can you travel at the quieter times

I have found that travelling late at night, 9 PM to 5AM or on Sunday are the only quieter times for traffic in Cebu these days.  During the day, from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM most days of the week I would not call the traffic "quieter" but at least it tends to keep moving (until the next traffic light).  I found one of those horrid lights at the intersection of the main highway and A.S. Fortuna in Mandaue.  There is a countdown timer and you can see that you get 120 seconds of green light and then 300 seconds of red light.  That meant I had to sit there for about half an hour as it took 5 green lights for me to get through it. And that was at 11 AM on a Monday morning when I would have thought it was quiet.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have found that travelling late at night, 9 PM to 5AM or on Sunday are the only quieter times for traffic in Cebu these days.  During the day, from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM most days of the week I would not call the traffic "quieter" but at least it tends to keep moving (until the next traffic light).  I found one of those horrid lights at the intersection of the main highway and A.S. Fortuna in Mandaue.  There is a countdown timer and you can see that you get 120 seconds of green light and then 300 seconds of red light.  That meant I had to sit there for about half an hour as it took 5 green lights for me to get through it. And that was at 11 AM on a Monday morning when I would have thought it was quiet.

I am driving a few days in Cebu every month and find the traffic worsening (same Dumaguete) so guess it's a sign of the times. Cars can be purchased on low deposit as they are a status  symbol here.

One needs, good air con, music and a bucket full of patience.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, RBM said:

the traffic worsening (same Dumaguete)

The main problem i find with Dumaguete is the NON permanent one way streets, they only create them at certain times BUT people insist on joining 1/2 way up go where they choose, To me it seems more Logical to make them one way all the time and stop any confusion and the stupid drivers causing problems that there should never be. the Worst for me is Hibbard Avenue at Silliman Uni it should be one way out of town yet when I take Tm back to School someone has moved the Street sign so it opens the road up again at Harolds mansions. Goodness knows how there are no accidents when Travelling along a road that you think is one way only :89:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The main problem i find with Dumaguete is the NON permanent one way streets, they only create them at certain times BUT people insist on joining 1/2 way up go where they choose, To me it seems more Logical to make them one way all the time and stop any confusion and the stupid drivers causing problems that there should never be. the Worst for me is Hibbard Avenue at Silliman Uni it should be one way out of town yet when I take Tm back to School someone has moved the Street sign so it opens the road up again at Harolds mansions. Goodness knows how there are no accidents when Travelling along a road that you think is one way only :89:

Jack I find going North best is Boulevard as far as possible, comes out at Bantayan which ovoids the most congested areas.

With out question for me the idiotic brain dead retarded motor cyclists are the main problem here. Seemingly evert time we make a right turn with blinkers flashing and slowly veering right at least two retards will scream past.....on the right. So many close ones, just a matter of time, guess who's fault this will Be? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Jack I find going North best is Boulevard as far as possible,

Yes! if in town but as I live up on the Bagacay Valencia Road I find better to use this and then drop down onto Larena Drive and come out way past the Airport, I have to use Hibbard for TM and school, In fact, I guess we are Lucky here on our side of the City as if Going North we can be in Sibulan in 15/20 mins. As to Bikes well nough said :571c66d400c8c_1(103): When going South I can use the Banilad Bagacay road so again, not having to go to Town

At times I am thankful for small mercies :smile:

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes! if in town but as I live up on the Bagacay Valencia Road I find better to use this and then drop down onto Larena Drive and come out way past the Airport, I have to use Hibbard for TM and school, In fact, I guess we are Lucky here on our side of the City as if Going North we can be in Sibulan in 15/20 mins. As to Bikes well nough said :571c66d400c8c_1(103): When going South I can use the Banilad Bagacay road so again, not having to go to Town

At times I am thankful for small mercies :smile:

Yes but it now appears Larena drive an all smaller roads leading out of Valencia going north are either u der construction or so pot holed they soon will be. A motor 15--20 minutes uses but doubt in a car possible, agree beats going  in to the city hands down.

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Driving in the Philippines is definitely more expensive and more stressful than walking or taking trikes/jeepneys, but I get home much cleaner now ever since I bought a car. :smile:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although traffic can be bad in Cebu I would not say it's all the time. When you can you travel at the quieter times. 

There are times in Manila also.  But they are small windows and still Sundays are usually much less traffic.