Why do people buy SUVs they can't drive?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well he certainly is not alone here.I have heard a few times that when the actual driving test was about to take place the testor would say "sir no gasoline in the car"and would pass him anyway.

After one of the younger family members had been riding around on the motorbike for a few months I said have you gotten your license yet, answer no.  Her mother mildly scolded her and told her to get it soon.  When I asked about studying for the test I got a puzzled look... 'no test, just pay' (of course this is down in Mindanao in a smaller city and things are probably different in larger cities).

Edited by GeoffH

intrepid
Posted
Posted

My niece is 24 years old and with a good job.  She finally decided she needs her own vehicle.  Of course its a SUV.  Now that she has her first car she needed her drivers license but wanted some instruction.  So she paid and attended drivers class here in Laguna.  Seems there are many instructors everywhere.  After a few weeks and some practice behind the wheel, she got her drivers license.  I asked her the other day if the driving classes were difficult.  Of course not because there were no classroom instruction, only some practice driving around the car with the instructor.  I asked if she even got a driving manual with the rules of the road ,haha.  NO.  Well then, I asked if the driver explained the traffic signs, lights, and lines.  Again no.  Seems the only instruction was how to start and stop the vehicle while attempting to avoid any damage to the car. Basic operating instruction.  Is it any wonder why they have no idea how to drive anything let alone a large SUV.  :89:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

So true! My brother-in-law never took a test. He bought his drivers license. He does not know how to drive a car. Seriously!!!

My relatives assured me this is no longer practiced in the Philippines.  You had to go to a DMV to apply and be tested if it is your first visit.

I recall, in the good old days, there was a family driver affectionately called, "The healthiest man in the Philippines."  The family had an aversion to needles and injections.  At the time you needed a card for international travel showing vaccination against Yellow Fever and Smallpox. 

• Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 3/19/2018 at 2:31 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

At the very least they would not be able to pass me on the highway and then slow down.  Them SUV owners always want to be in front, even if the guy behind wants to go faster than them.

you only need to pedal faster!!:whistling:

• Haha 2