New BPI Debit Chip Cards - FYI

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Just in case this helps some of you.....

BPI sent both my wife and I an e-mail notice that our old BPI Debit cards were being replaced by Mastercard chip cards.  You have to bring in your old card, ID and a copy of the ID, then fill out a new signature card and personal information form.

Although I'm not a big fan of getting a new card like this, I guess in the Philippines, without a secure and reliable postal system, it is the only way to do a mass replacement.

In our case, I think you can do it any day after today, but they setup a special Saturday open day, today, to hand out the new cards.  I believe our branch was selected to handle all the local branches, because they have the best parking.  I noticed employees helping who are no longer at this branch, so they came to help out with this event. 

They did a good job.  They removed all the normal sitting furniture and had several tables set up for the form filling customers to use.  When we entered, we were handed a clipboard with the personal info form, the signature card and a tethered pen.  There were a few employees assigned there and they hovered, waiting for questions on the forms or for you to finish.  When you finish they do a quick check, then give you a number.  Your number is then called to a window (they had 3 or 4) where they finalize the forms.  I waited 5 minutes for my number to be called.  Then they send you off to the card pickup window.  They had 2 or 3, I think.  They give you the card and have you sign for it.  Then over to an inside transaction machine where you set the PIN on the new card.  The bank manager was standing there and zoomed me through that part.  Without her, there would be a huge bottleneck there at the end.  You can set the PIN on the regular ATMs outside, but without coaching, it would be tedious.  The new cards have a 6 digit PIN.

All in, 15-20 minutes.  If you have the option to go to one of these special sessions, I would recommend it based on our experience today.  I'm sure it would take a lot longer if you go in on a regular business day.

My wife was told a downside to these new cards.  If you go to another bank's ATM, p250 charge!  Currently they only charge p15 or something like that.  p250 sounds too high so maybe that was a mis-understanding and that is the charge for withdrawal at a foreign ATM in another country.  Apparently you can use these Mastercard debit cards overseas.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1