First Parking Ticket

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know it happens but I am not one to complain about the rare times it happens to me.

Fairly recently I had a very similar experience to you, some family members and I were sitting around drinking out the front of the house and there was music playing and a neighbour who I did not recognize came in through the gate and started yelling at me.  My very limited Cebuano left me with no idea what he was saying but it didn't matter, I had several family males there defending me to him. within 5 seconds.  There was similar (or louder) noise at various houses within hearing range (semi-rural major road a couple of kilometres outside of the edge of town).

The accusation was... too much noise, I ended up going and sitting inside with some other family members and the problem went away.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, davewe said:

Within 5 minutes I was done. Cost: 300P.

Wait until the municipal and city governments realize parking fines is a good way to raise revenues.  The champion is the city of Los Angeles when it was revealed they generate more that $300 million in fines.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some foreigners feel "picked on".  I know it happens but I am not one to complain about the rare times it happens to me.

Only once I've had a small problem smoking away from the Jollibee main door. A guard walked out and told me I had to put my smoke out, no worries, not my country, follow the law, not known to me. We were staying in a hotel just down the road and a police officer that I'd become friends with, ( the wife supplied a kg of rice to the pillar box down the road each day to keep an eye on me at 3am PI time, 5am Aussie time, ) He walked up to the guard and had a bit of a chat and after that no worries, just don't smoke too close to the doors the guard told me. Even if the police officer hadn't of intervened I still didn't feel as though I'd been picked on, that is the law, he was doing his job.

All the laws are there, and like one post said he was smoking, but a bloke nearby didn't get pinched because he couldn't pay, so be it, 500 peso isn't going to break the bank and I'll bet if you had of put it out straight away explaining you didn't know the law, there would have been a 50/50 chance of not getting lumbered with a fine.

Saying all that, sometimes we are our worst enemies. :thumbsup:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, davewe said:

Monday I went to City Hall to take care of it. Found the desk for the tickets. Within 5 minutes I was done. Cost: 300P. I figure back in Portland that's the amount I would put in the meter just for the privilege of parking there. 

I have had 1 or 2 parking tickets in Olongapo, and I think they were only p150 or something like that.

There is a big crackdown on illegal parking here, so you have to be careful now.  I understand the benefits but it also sucks for some business' and their customers because there is no legal parking nearby.  I have not seen one yet, but apparently they have some wheel locks now, and that would be a real pain if you got one of those!  They are towing too, but so far I have not seen a car towed; only motorcycles.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Wait until the municipal and city governments realize parking fines is a good way to raise revenues.

It would not surprise me to find out that had been thought of but think of it this way;  In a previous post someone mentioned that a local was not given a ticket for illegal smoking because it was already known he couldn't/wouldn't pay it.  Same with parking tickets.  The cost of collecting them in many Philippine locales probably exceeds the revenue they could expect to get.  Of course they could start confiscating vehicles but the vast majority could not afford to pay to get them back and sooner or later they would have a rebellion on their hands.  

Then there are parking meters.  Another great invention, but I bet the local street kids will figure out a way to empty them of coins within a month of them getting put up.

Perhaps, instead of NO parking signs, they should have a sign that says "300 pesos to park here" (which is the cost of the fine it seems).  There would be a line up around the block of boys willing to enforce/collect that fee and something could be worked out with revenue sharing with the local government.  Just a thought.

EDIT:

2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There is a big crackdown on illegal parking here, so you have to be careful now. 

Yes, that makes sense in the "richer" areas of the country. My comments were directed to the cities and towns that are not filled with rich people who can afford to pay fines.  :SugarwareZ-005:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There is a big crackdown on illegal parking here, so you have to be careful now.  I understand the benefits but it also sucks for some business' and their customers because there is no legal parking nearby.

A little off topic here but since you mention no legal parking nearby, here is a little interesting parking progress.  Our brother-in-law who lives along the main road going through Cabuyao City, Laguna has been informed the government will be expanding the road in front of his property.  The road currently is two lanes both North and south along with the normal broken sidewalk with electric poles where some will try to park.  With this expansion the government will be taking five meters along the front of his property.  His property (a woodworking company with half dozen employees), is just about a meter back from the sidewalk.  Along with taking the five meters, he has to provide parking spaces for customers and a off street parking for his delivery truck.  There won't be much space left to operate the business.  Same for the small internet cafe next door.  Five meters plus parking leaves no space on the small property for a building/business.  I know it's necessary and enjoy the fact they are finally requiring business to provide parking spaces.  However, this is really putting a hurt on many small businesses. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, intrepid said:

However, this is really putting a hurt on many small businesses. 

It is the whole of the PI that can be affected, we (They asked for better roads so, to me it is cause and effect

• Like 1