First Parking Ticket

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, intrepid said:

Five meters plus parking leaves no space on the small property for a building/business

As i walk around Dumaguete and area there are huge amounts of vacant land, but they are all inaccessible due to no access.   It has always seemed strange to me that people build their houses and businesses with the front door opening into the traffic and the lot behind them is often empty.

Poorest urban planning I have ever seen.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Urban planning, that's an interesting concept. Must be up there with driver ability and home maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Love it 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

people build their houses and businesses with the front door opening into the traffic

why bother, remember this is the land of park in traffic, turn on your emergency flashers and your parked to do your business :hystery:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, intrepid said:

A little off topic here but since you mention no legal parking nearby, here is a little interesting parking progress.  Our brother-in-law who lives along the main road going through Cabuyao City, Laguna has been informed the government will be expanding the road in front of his property.  The road currently is two lanes both North and south along with the normal broken sidewalk with electric poles where some will try to park.  With this expansion the government will be taking five meters along the front of his property.  His property (a woodworking company with half dozen employees), is just about a meter back from the sidewalk.  Along with taking the five meters, he has to provide parking spaces for customers and a off street parking for his delivery truck.  There won't be much space left to operate the business.  Same for the small internet cafe next door.  Five meters plus parking leaves no space on the small property for a building/business.  I know it's necessary and enjoy the fact they are finally requiring business to provide parking spaces.  However, this is really putting a hurt on many small businesses. 

They could build the new business  on 12 foot pilings and park under. Good for high water too.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:42 AM, davewe said:

Monday I went to City Hall to take care of it. Found the desk for the tickets. Within 5 minutes I was done. Cost: 300P. I figure back in Portland that's the amount I would put in the meter just for the privilege of parking there. 

It was 50 php when I got one in Duma in 2015. Doubt you were overcharged, it's the crackdown.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gary D said:

Urban planning, that's an interesting concept. Must be up there with driver ability and home maintenance.

You love the Philippines right ???????????

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2018 at 8:01 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

As i walk around Dumaguete and area there are huge amounts of vacant land, but they are all inaccessible due to no access.   It has always seemed strange to me that people build their houses and businesses with the front door opening into the traffic and the lot behind them is often empty.

Poorest urban planning I have ever seen.

You are right about poor planning. One reason for the heavy traffic is because there is very little parking. So motorists legally or illegally park on roadways.  The wealthy have drivers going around in a slow circle while shopping or meeting friends for coffee.  Walking around Makati during my last visit, there were additional new buildings, but the road network remained the same.  In addition, the new building owners don't have enough parking spaces in their bases to accommodate their tenants and visitors.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In addition, the new building owners don't have enough parking spaces in their bases to accommodate their tenants and visitors.

Maybe but I know in the condo I live between the two towers over half are not used. If I look over to one of the call centers it appears the same thing. Maybe if owners rented them out it would help.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe but I know in the condo I live between the two towers over half are not used. If I look over to one of the call centers it appears the same thing. Maybe if owners rented them out it would help.

Just wondering if parking spaces are included with the condo or do you purchase a parking space separately?  Several of the places I looked at years ago did not even have parking.  Others which had parking spaces rented between p5000-p7000.  Ouch.  But could be good for an investor if the purchase price is low.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Just wondering if parking spaces are included with the condo or do you purchase a parking space separately?  Several of the places I looked at years ago did not even have parking.  Others which had parking spaces rented between p5000-p7000.  Ouch.  But could be good for an investor if the purchase price is low.

The one I looked at recently the parking space was a separate purchase and the cost was additional to the condo sale price, I didn't proceed because there were no parking spaces available for sale at that time (evidently a condo owner can purchase more than 1 space and some have so there were none currently for sale).