The right fit

marine6357
Posted
Posted

I will be making my first trip to the Philippines in September and staying for 1 month. and I have searched the forum for an answer but they seem a a little outdated answers. So wondering is it any easier to find larger men's sizes in clothing now? I wear an X-large shirt and have a 38 inch waist but very short legs only 29 inches. So don't want to pack too much clothes for the trip and was hoping to be able to buy somethings there. I will be staying in and around Cebu and CDO for much of my trip. So any help would be appreciated.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you look at the pictures of some of our get togethers you will see that we all still wear the same clothes we have been wearing for 10 years.  That might be an exaggeration but not by much.

For me, I usually buy my new clothes on my infrequent trips out of the country as I do not find it easy to buy quality clothes to fit a 200 lb tall guy at a good price anywhere in Philippines.  But I don't look too hard as I know I have to make a Visa run every couple years and my clothes last that long.

On occasion I find something nice that fits but if you are fussy about what you wear then bring lots of your favorites.  For me socks and underwear are the worst things to find in decent size and quality.  Every trip back to Canada I buy dozens of them at Costco.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you can find nice clothes to fit you at stores in Ayala Malls but they won't be cheap.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Marine

You can get clothes in any market or Mall but hopefully you will only be wearing them for a few hours a day! Nudge, nudge, Wink, Wink.

Have fun and go with the flow.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I doubt you’re able to find much clothing in your size in Cebu City. If you do the price will be slightly higher than back home. That’s my experience looking some larger nice mall shops there.

codermonkey
Posted
Posted

Asian sizes are weird, what you might think is fine in shop generally turns out not fine by the time you get home.

Holiday just pack light and get your clothes washed at the local launderette, it will be like $1 per kilogram wash and dry.

Tell them not to press your clothes because they will iron polyester/plastic/vinyl with an iron on cotton setting.

If moving for good, take all the hot weather clothes you think you will need. Do not pack jeans.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just had the stepson over here in Aussie from the PI's, 5' 11" 115 kg, he had a ball in the op shops, even bought a hand carry on luggage to take his new found cloths home. Yes bring plenty of big sized cloths if that is what you need, like they've said, big cloths are like hens teeth over their, very expensive. :thumbsup: enjoy your stay. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Pack at least 3 pairs of slacks (long pants 12 pairs of socks and underwear 6 shorts and 12 shirts most hotels will do laundry for free and if needed 4=7 days worth is usually under 4or5 dollars.  I would recommend 2 pairs of walking shoes and a pair of dress shoes. I brought  sandals but was afraid to wear them outside.....next trip I'm bringing as pith helmet as it's hard to look where you step and what is about to smack you upside your head.  Side walk holes  dog exhaust  and overhead awnings trees wires set to hurt you.  Bring many small bars and bags of chocolate.....Hersheys M&Ms and such .  These are much appreciated by all.   Total weight about 30#s  leaving much room for the return.

Of course if it comes that you start  bringing a filipina back and forth  just pack 50#s of  candy and a change of cloths send the other 200#s of necessities in a BB box about 6 weeks before.  

Save those shopping trips for sitting at the coffee shops. Mighty fine merchandise can be found in and near there. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, codermonkey said:

Asian sizes are weird, what you might think is fine in shop generally turns out not fine by the time you get home.

Asian sizes are Asian sizes and US or UK are different again.

Size chart.jpg

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

I doubt you’re able to find much clothing in your size in Cebu City. If you do the price will be slightly higher than back home. That’s my experience looking some larger nice mall shops there.

SM department store have an area dedicated to big clothing and plenty of very large stuff there. I forget the name of what they call it but it's right near an entrance in the SM department store. 

• Thanks 1

codermonkey
Posted
Posted

Its more that they simply don't fit western people, t-shirts are too small and shrink, you will end up with it looking like a tank top with your belly showing.

Underpants are made for midgets, you will feel you are back at school with a wedgie.

Just trying to find clothes that fit will take all day and cost more than the US, better to enjoy your holiday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1