The right fit

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I'm bringing as pith helmet as it's hard to look where you step

I haven't had much problem with getting "pithed" on but you do have to watch what you step in.  I have inadvertently stepped in some "pith" and barely avoided stepping in "pooth", not sure if human or dog as some areas you just cannot tell.

Moral is, good shoes and socks if doing lots of walking and wash legs and feet when getting home to remove any splashed on dirt.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That article is dated 2016. Only about 6 weeks ago the section I was told to go to by my UK friend which had large sizes was not called menswear plus. I will have to ask him the name. 

I just looked at one of the shirts I bought there back in 2015, and it was called Ultimo back then.  According to another old article, the SM department is call Maxwear.

The shirt is a 3XL but I just tried it a few days ago and it is tight in the chest area.  When I bought it I was a few pounds lighter and it was ok.

The 2XL and even some XL I bought in the U.S. fit me fine.  So those Ultimo are big, but still Asian sized.

I have one pair of Jag jeans I bought here that I wear occasionally, but like others mentioned, the fit is not right for me.   They don't have enough length from the crotch to the waist, so they always seem to be pulling down.

Here is another old article:

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/shopping-guide/2014/10/31/1386191/ultimate-line-plus-size-men

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Again in my post I said SM department store have everything that will fit a big western guy like me.

My best guess is you go "commando" and sockless or else you are much more easily pleased with the socks and underwear you can find in Philippines, (SM or elsewhere), than I am.  The ONLY place I have found that has decent quality socks and underwear is Marks and Spencers and the price is outrageous.

And has been said elsewhere, any shirts, T shirts or shorts I have bought locally will shrink with time and washing.  No, I am not getting any bigger, (well maybe a bit but I still say its the shrinkage :SugarwareZ-005:

But as I re-read the thread, the opening poster is only here on vacation so sure, everything he needs for a short visit is available locally.  Its not like he needs it to last 10 years like some of us cheap old farts.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My best guess is you go "commando" and sockless or else you are much more easily pleased with the socks and underwear you can find in Philippines, (SM or elsewhere), than I am.  The ONLY place I have found that has decent quality socks and underwear is Marks and Spencers and the price is outrageous.

Funny that. Next time I go to Landers I will splurge on underwear as they had the same boxer shorts that I wear. As for socks have not bought any as I still have some from Aus and are not a sandal and sock person. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And has been said elsewhere, any shirts, T shirts or shorts I have bought locally will shrink with time and washing.

Same as most you will find in places like Kmart, Big W or Target. All made in Asia. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Funny that.

I'll tell ya what's funny.  Its funny that we forum members cannot agree on what makes decent clothing and yet I'll bet a load of us here shop in the Ukay Ukay stores for the bargains when we can :hystery:

I got a couple pair of cargo shorts from Ukay Ukay just the other day.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'll bet a load of us here shop in the Ukay Ukay stores for the bargains when we can :hystery:

I got a couple pair of cargo shorts from Ukay Ukay just the other day.

That has been my best source for shorts that fit good, but it is hard to find over 38 waist.  Skinny guys like you should always have a good supply!  :smile:

• Haha 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I guess for some clarification I am  5'10" (178cm) and weight 200lbs (90kg) the reason I asked was I like to travel light and do not want to be dragging luggage everywhere I go. I will not be staying in a hotel if possible but looking at Airbnb's for most of my stays so doing laundry might be a challenge. (plus doing laundry is not something I will be doing on vacation). So I guess my best option is to bring what I think I will need and find a laundry to do my clothes.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

.... most hotels will do laundry for free....

I must be going to the wrong hotels.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

I guess for some clarification I am  5'10" (178cm) and weight 200lbs (90kg) the reason I asked was I like to travel light and do not want to be dragging luggage everywhere I go. I will not be staying in a hotel if possible but looking at Airbnb's for most of my stays so doing laundry might be a challenge. (plus doing laundry is not something I will be doing on vacation). So I guess my best option is to bring what I think I will need and find a laundry to do my clothes.

Plenty of laundry places. Your size in my opinion you will find in SM. 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Don't know if you need to be told, but forget about "aloha" shirts. They are the equivalent of painting a target on your back.