The right fit

marine6357
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Don't know if you need to be told, but forget about "aloha" shirts.

Oh really? Wow they are so cool tho.lol Yes I know try to blend in as much as possible. Why become a statistic if can be avoided. Planning on bring mainly Polo type shirts, T-shirts, shorts, and a nice suit with me. Someone said before not to wear Jeans. Why is that? I was thinking of doing some hiking in a wooded or mountainous area and like the protection they provide.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's too hot & humid for long pants. I would never bring a suit- not even to get married or buried  in. Invest in a Barong Tagalog. THAT is the regulation formal wear in the Philippines. Formal occasions will hopefully be air conditioned, so nice slacks are indicated.

Edited by Guy F.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, marine6357 said:

Someone said before not to wear Jeans. Why is that?

Loads of people wear jeans.  Mainly the locals though. Expats seem to have a preference for shorts.  When I wear jeans I get teased:  "What you gettin' all dressed up for?"

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm here on a 3 week vacation and the only long pants I've brought are the pair I landed in and will fly back in.

codermonkey
Posted
Posted

If you are flying from a cold country then agree wear a pair of jeans on the plane.

One in Philippines its too hot and humid for jeans, unless you plan going to an air con nightclub, and even then expats and tourists will often wear shorts.

Laundry outside your hotel is not hard to find, if you are in a cheap hotel you can ask at front desk and if they don't do laundry they will direct you to the local laundry place.

Typically I pack 7-10 days worth of clothes and just get stuff washed once a week. Like I said its normally 1-2 bucks. The biggest problem is potential for lost or damaged items, but Asia is really good, they count your items on collection and return.

You can also always buy some washing power and hand wash items in the sink or shower, its so hot that its easy to dry them.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

SM department store have an area dedicated to big clothing and plenty of very large stuff there. I forget the name of what they call it but it's right near an entrance in the SM department store. 

Thanks for sharing that. I will look for that clothing section!

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Oh really? Wow they are so cool tho.lol Yes I know try to blend in as much as possible. Why become a statistic if can be avoided. Planning on bring mainly Polo type shirts, T-shirts, shorts, and a nice suit with me. Someone said before not to wear Jeans. Why is that? I was thinking of doing some hiking in a wooded or mountainous area and like the protection they provide.

Yeah go incognito they will never spot you being 6'0 tall and wearing shorts

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Cebu..St Marks.....Balamban...Sailors cabin..

San Carlos two different hotels don't remember names

I just ask and they usually say yes. most time back in morning ...I do leave a bit of chocolate or tip with house keeping though.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I haven't had much problem with getting "pithed" on but you do have to watch what you step in.  I have inadvertently stepped in some "pith" and barely avoided stepping in "pooth", not sure if human or dog as some areas you just cannot tell.

Moral is, good shoes and socks if doing lots of walking and wash legs and feet when getting home to remove any splashed on dirt.

Is why I recommend the helmet as you look down it is better to be pithed on than pithed off 

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I arrive in the PI with the clothes on my back and a small carry on backpack. No luggage. The backpack contains an Ipad,an Iphone,  a small shaving kit, 4 pairs of sport shorts with mesh liner,4 “dry-tek” t shirts, and a pair of flip flops.  No underwear necessary. I can buy whatever else I need when I arrive and I can give it away or throw it out when i leave. My clothes are so easy to wash that i do it myself in the hotel sink, it only takes a few  minutes cuz my stuff is wash and wear, no ironing required. I have done this for about 9 years, my longest visit in the PI was 13 months. Anything I need I can buy at the local Gaisano or most large malls.

• Like 2