The right fit

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lou49 said:

No underwear necessary.

I know lots of people do this... but I just can't.

And... bonus if you have to use the bum gun in a CR then underwear stops you from the worst effects of wet bum as you leave the CR .

Edited by GeoffH

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, codermonkey said:

You can also always buy some washing power and hand wash items in the sink or shower, its so hot that its easy to dry them.

That reminds me;  "A friend" told me :whistling: that there are some girls who will come and stay with you for a few days and be willing to wash your clothes in the shower (do a good job too) and hang them to dry in the hotel room.  With the aircon on, the dehumidifying function will dry the clothes in about 4 hours.  It amazes me that so many ladies are happy to do that at no "additional" charge. :thumbsup:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/23/2018 at 9:46 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'll tell ya what's funny.  Its funny that we forum members cannot agree on what makes decent clothing and yet I'll bet a load of us here shop in the Ukay Ukay stores for the bargains when we can :hystery:

I got a couple pair of cargo shorts from Ukay Ukay just the other day.

My wife just got back from the wet market area / ukay ukay and she found a really nice pair of shorts for me.  Like new.  20 pesos!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Like new.  20 pesos

I'm jealous :thumbsup: Best deal I ever got on them cargo shorts (the good ones) is 50 pesos and I usually pay 150 to 250 for shorts that really appeal to me.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Ukay-Ukay stores are OK-OK. The first time my wife saw me shopping at one she had to Facebook with a photo because her family would not otherwise believe it. The stores which have their stock at least partially organized are worthwhile. The ones where you have to dig thru piles are not worthwhile, imho.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, marine6357 said:

I will be making my first trip to the Philippines in September and staying for 1 month. and I have searched the forum for an answer but they seem a a little outdated answers. So wondering is it any easier to find larger men's sizes in clothing now? I wear an X-large shirt and have a 38 inch waist but very short legs only 29 inches. So don't want to pack too much clothes for the trip and was hoping to be able to buy somethings there. I will be staying in and around Cebu and CDO for much of my trip. So any help would be appreciated.

Extra large here is not the same as XL in the US. In point of fact Western sizing has changed over the years. My father was maybe 40-50 pounds overweight and back when I was a kid he had to go to the big and tall shops. Now a 38 inch waist is pretty much considered normal.

So no, you will be waisting (pun intended) a lot of your time shopping for clothes to fit you in the Philippines. An XL shirt will not be what you think of as XL.

The same is true in reverse in the US. My wife is a slender Pinay. A size small in the US did not fit her. She had to hope to find an XS or shop at stores that catered to teens (and they are getting bigger too). It took her a while to figure out that sizing in the US is at least one size different than in the Philippines.

If you don't want to overpack my suggestion would be to wash clothes or pay someone to wash. That's a lot cheaper and easier to find than trying to find size 38 waisted stuff here.

And bring your t-shirts and light shorts. Unless you're the rare individual that loves heat (and actually I do) you will not be wanting to break out the button down shirts and long pants here. I have a wedding to attend in a week and it will be the first time I will be wearing pants and a real shirt since I moved here 8 months ago - and I'm not looking forward to it! 

• Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, davewe said:

Unless you're the rare individual that loves heat (and actually I do) you will not be wanting to break out the button down shirts and long pants here.

Haha I am from Buffalo, NY so you tell me if I can handle the heat...lol It is almost April and the Temps have not gone above 60 degrees yet and once it does I will be breakinging out the shorts. So if that is any indication of my tolerance of heat you know the answer. Thanks Dave for the info.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1