Slowing down as I age.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Many here know that I walk for my exercise and just recently I loaded a phone app that allows me to "map my walk".  It seems like a fun program but I wonder how accurate it is.

In my pre-retirement days I walked a consistent 4 miles an hour.  For years, whenever I checked time vs mile markers it was always 4 miles an hour.  But this machine says I only walked 3 1/2 miles in an hour.  That is a bit of a letdown.

I know I slowed way down when I started walking with my gf but I thought I had picked the pace back up now that I walk alone again.  Hmmmm.   Does anyone else use one of these pieces of software?  Is it wrong or have I just slowed with age?  Is there a better app out there for an android phone?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many here know that I walk for my exercise and just recently I loaded a phone app that allows me to "map my walk".  It seems like a fun program but I wonder how accurate it is.

In my pre-retirement days I walked a consistent 4 miles an hour.  For years, whenever I checked time vs mile markers it was always 4 miles an hour.  But this machine says I only walked 3 1/2 miles in an hour.  That is a bit of a letdown.

I know I slowed way down when I started walking with my gf but I thought I had picked the pace back up now that I walk alone again.  Hmmmm.   Does anyone else use one of these pieces of software?  Is it wrong or have I just slowed with age?  Is there a better app out there for an android phone?

There are several android apps for running and walking.  Download another and give it a try, for comparison.

I had two on my last phone but rarely used one because it took to long to connect.  I drove my route to measure it, and both seemed accurate for the distance I walked.  I don't have one on my new phone yet.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But this machine says I only walked 3 1/2 miles in an hour.

AHA, I'm vindicated.  I did a little googling and found:

"Walking at a pace of 3 miles per hour (or a 20 minute-mile) was associated with a lower risk of premature death overall as well as death from specific diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer and respiratory disease."

So I'm good.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Dave, move more,

He tried that but found bending his elbow repeatedly caused other problems. :7500: 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

He tried that but found bending his elbow repeatedly caused other problems. :7500: 

This reminds me of a time back in...

🙈🙉🙊

• Haha 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Phone is just running a bit slow. wind it and give it a tap on the side

• Haha 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The latest study indicates ANY exercise is better than none.  It does not stipulate length or difficulty.  Best, from another study, is swimming because all muscles are used.  Low impact walking is next. Jogging puts too much strain on your knees and joints.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have the solution...... sit further away from the bar job done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1