Uber and Grab combine

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe but if you take down the taxi number and even take a picture of it and send to someone before entering you will probably be OK if the driver knows what you did. 

Thats good advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/10/2018 at 10:13 PM, earthdome said:

You know your destination but the driver only knows the pickup point. Once the driver has picked you up the Uber driver app shows the destination. So the driver does not know the destination until after the pickup.

Must be different for Grab here. :smile:

Grab: Visible destination is 'a security measure'
Speaking to CNN Philippines' New Day, Nograles attributed Grab's cancellation rate to the fact that drivers could see where passengers were headed.

The lawmaker added LTFRB issued an order in 2015 asking Grab to disable the feature, but it has yet to comply.

"When drivers see the destination is too far... (he) is in a situation to refuse conveyance, which is against the law," said Nograles.

However, Cu told CNN Philippines' The Source most customers failed to get a ride because of lack of units to serve them, not because rider destinations were visible. He also said he has yet to examine the order Nograles was referring to.

"People associate the fact that they can't get a ride with choosy drivers. But when we look at the data... around 70 percent of unallocated bookings is because there are no cars available," said Cu.

He said showing drivers a clear destination was a security feature for them.

"We've avoided incidents na na-hold up si driver or may modus... That's the reason why we've shown the destination," he explained.

Cu added that Grab was studying other security alternatives and removing the visible destination feature altogether.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2018/04/23/grab-sanctions-500-drivers-ride-cancellations.html

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I like the feature that allows the driver to refuse to take the passenger if its too far PROVIDED too far is a helluva long way.  Say for example you wanted to catch a cab in Cebu going to Danao and you wanted him to go on the meter.  That's too far, he'll be coming back empty and that's not fair to the driver.  Personally, I don't want to ride that far with a grumpy b*stard for a cab driver who really did not want to take me there.  

However, if they have a feature that allows you to show the driver what tip you will pay for the trip then most drivers don't care if its "too far" provided they get a premium to pay for their empty trip back.  At least that is how I view it.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I like the feature that allows the driver to refuse to take the passenger if its too far PROVIDED too far is a helluva long way.  Say for example you wanted to catch a cab in Cebu going to Danao and you wanted him to go on the meter.  That's too far, he'll be coming back empty and that's not fair to the driver.  Personally, I don't want to ride that far with a grumpy b*stard for a cab driver who really did not want to take me there.  

However, if they have a feature that allows you to show the driver what tip you will pay for the trip then most drivers don't care if its "too far" provided they get a premium to pay for their empty trip back.  At least that is how I view it.

Can't the driver pick up a fare on the return?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Can't the driver pick up a fare on the return?

Sure he "can"  Is he likely to?  If I were a taxi driver I would know there are certain areas that it is unlikely.

• Like 1