Philippine Driving License on a Tourist Visa.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

Thanks for that Dave Houndriver, I will check it out April, I have always assumed you could drive on a UK licence, since we intend to do a bit more travelling around I do want to make sure we are legal, insured and what ever else we need if we get a pull !!

As I recall you can drive on your home country DL for the first three months you are in the Philippines. If your stay is longer than that then you need to get a PI DL.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much for that earthdome, I think I will just go for a 5 year licence from the get go then

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Thank very much for the reply, I think I will just go for the 5 year licence straight away then its all done !!

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

As I recall you can drive on your home country DL for the first three months you are in the Philippines. If your stay is longer than that then you need to get a PI DL.

Yes, this is correct.  3 Months on your home country drivers license.  NOTE*  If your home country license is not in English then you will need an international drivers license which is actually only a translation of your license.  Also the law requires while driving on your foreign drivers license you must carry your passport.  I was stopped once and showed a foreign license but was not asked for my passport.  YMMV.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Some hire companies also require an international permit. The big multinational companies like Avis etc. Never been asked by a local hire company, never had a straight answer about insurance either.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, intrepid said:

international drivers license

No such animal. It's a myth.:smile:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

No such animal. It's a myth.:smile:

I think the correct terminology is International Driving Permit - recognised in many countries but not all

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I think the correct terminology is International Driving Permit

It basically a Translation of the Licence you hold in the language of the country you wish to Visit :smile:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

It basically a Translation of the Licence you hold in the language of the country you wish to Visit :smile:

Just out of interest, if your licence is in English and you're visiting an English speaking country, would you need any such permit?  

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Just out of interest, if your licence is in English and you're visiting an English speaking country, would you need any such permit?  

No