Philippine Driving License on a Tourist Visa.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, i am bob said:

what happened to proving you will be in the Philippines for minimum 1 year to get a Filipino drivers license?

When I got my Philippine license (most recent renewal and on a tourist visa) it took 16 months to get it (no I am not exaggerating in the slightest).  So that pretty much proved I was here for a year :hystery:

i am bob
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I got my Philippine license (most recent renewal and on a tourist visa) it took 16 months to get it (no I am not exaggerating in the slightest).  So that pretty much proved I was here for a year :hystery:

Did you get your initial license before they put in the one year bit?  Just curious...  I've heard that others in your area have been getting their license still...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

I've heard that others in your area have been getting their license still

I have heard of no one having any problems getting it in Dumaguete.   They just have problems getting through line ups and bureaucracy and waiting games. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, canadamale said:

I was under the impression filipino was the majority nationality in the Philippines

Well played my friend! :thumbsup:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, Reboot said:

I need a license to drive in the Philippines! :shock_40_anim_gif:

I would never drive in that chaos willingly!

Then, last year, I was told the whole clan was going to spend a weekend at a beach a couple of hours away.

They rented a big van.

Great!

When I showed up I asked who the driver was.

They handed me the keys. :shock_40_anim_gif:

To me it would be worth paying a driver. Around here you can a Van and driver for about P3,000 per day. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...
Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, i am bob said:

Did you get your initial license before they put in the one year bit?  Just curious...  I've heard that others in your area have been getting their license still...

If Dave Hounddriver got a renewal then the answer to this question is yes.  The requirement change for new licenses is about 1 year old now.

Thomas W
Posted
Posted

You can only drive here for 3 months on a foreign permit..you cannot get a driving permit here unless you have 1 year residency on your passport via a 13 a or other permanent visa.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Thomas W said:

You can only drive here for 3 months on a foreign permit..you cannot get a driving permit here unless you have 1 year residency on your passport via a 13 a or other permanent visa.

I got mine while on Balikbayan privileges two years ago. Dumaguete main branch.

Thomas W
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I got mine while on Balikbayan privileges two years ago. Dumaguete main branch.

Lucky you..LTO has changed their rules since..I had a balibayan good for 11 months and when I visited the LTO in March 2019.I was told I needed 1 year or more valid visa in passport and my driving permit was also rejected because my middle name was not on my Quebec permit..So now I await my 13a and had my middle name put on my permit..

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Thomas W said:

Lucky you..LTO has changed their rules since..I had a balibayan good for 11 months and when I visited the LTO in March 2019.I was told I needed 1 year or more valid visa in passport and my driving permit was also rejected because my middle name was not on my Quebec permit..So now I await my 13a and had my middle name put on my permit..

The rules vary from branch to branch, also the rules may well have changed. Did you apply in Dumaguete also?

• Hmm thinking 1