The realities of VERY low income living here

robert k
Posted
Posted

I gave my helpers a big raise because of inflation and because they are bread winners for their families. They have also been with me for a year with few bobbles. I have found them trustworthy and they are not spendthrift with my money. I lucked out and maybe they did too. One lives in their fairly nice family home with retired schoolteacher mother and ill father, she travels about 45 minutes by bus and pedicab to come to work. The other lives in what could charitably be called a shack on the side of the highway, more tarps than not. Things are booming in Naga Camsur, rents have been going up as I well know because I was looking to trade up for a better place. The problem of the boom is that anyone not directly benefitting from the boom is priced out of the market, for everything.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

10-16 red horse a day? I couldn't manage that. Used to have no problem putting away 10-15 pints in the UK on a night out but it's not happening here, not sure if it's the weather or the beer strength but 7 or 8 red horse and I'm gone, start feeling it after just 2 or 3.

A Red Horse is what, 8% alcohol whereas a pint in the UK is anything from 3.5% to 5%.  I'd say that makes a significant difference to the time it takes to have an effect. I'm feeling Red Horse after 3 but doubt I'd make it to 8 (500ml) 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

Where do you find a wife/Gf that will allow you to drink that much? :7500:

At her mother's?  :tongue:

• Haha 3

Seth
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Clermont said:

Where do you find a wife/Gf that will allow you to drink that much? :7500:

She's a heavy binge drinker too. She helps put away some of those 10-16 Red Horses. I found her in Ermita!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is she bunker friendly? Sounds like you’ve got a keeper.👊

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Seth said:

She's a heavy binge drinker too. She helps put away some of those 10-16 Red Horses. I found her in Ermita!

Whom am I quoting, Capa, Marlin or Seth, very confusing trying to keep up with your train of thought, most trolls you can pick as a trouble maker  or like to disrupt a conversation. Most fox terriers you give a scolding too, they stand back out of your reach and keep yapping, are you like that or are you one of the terriers that settle down and join the fun other people enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ryan.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Being a former US Peace Corps I've had a lot of experience being in many similar homes of the low monthly scale.

Things have changed for many, but also still  many folks living in our town with much less numbers of amenities.  Not a lot has changed for the better for many since then.This includes some of my husband's relatives to some extent.  Many average/poor families here in Cebu province are still gathering wood and cooking over open wood fires for every meal. A majority do not have any refrigeration. One family might own one table fan, that they don't use that often due to power costs. One to two light sockets are available. In towns and barangays with a poor water infrastructure, many people still bathe from communal water stations (running water) in designated areas. some carry water or purchase water from private owned sources for their daily needs. Often you can see folks bathing from open water barrels along the road.  Scooters are available to many due to easy credit, but without a steady income as for instance a habalhabal driver, those scooters often get repo'd  Many homes, even the most humble are often rented and not privately owned. A  small TV or radio/stereo might be a family's pride, although I observe that almost everyone appears to own a cell phone of some sort. Proper consistent  nutrition is lacking for many adults, and children. (Although a roast pig does seem to materialize out of nowhere for a happy occasion at times.)

As with many places in the world, it's location, location, location, when it comes to the value of living in certain areas, Even for the poor. Some of my husband's cousins could live a healthier more carefree life in better surroundings out in the  province, but because the city offers more ways to earn income and educate their children, they choose to live in heavily populated areas in not always the safest and healthy of surroundings. 

We as foreigners oftentimes because of our circumstances might be be insulated from many stark realities of life here in the Philippines. It dismays be sometimes how slow the pace of growth and opportunities for the average Filipino is clearly evident. For every comfortable or well-off Filipino family here, there are scores of people that still lack so much in basic needs. I don't see much for change in the future either, sadly.

I admire your social awareness and the elegant way you convey it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Seth
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Is she bunker friendly? Sounds like you’ve got a keeper.👊

Yes she is, thank you very much!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The description of your husband's relatives mirrors that of most of my wife's family.  I think what you describe is quite common for those of us who marry into a Filipino family and choose to live here.   Often with that comes the burden of trying to help them financially while avoiding charges of favoritism or putting yourself and spouse into financial distress.   A difficult tightrope to walk, seems that often you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Just venting a bit, it can be frustrating at times. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I totally understand and agree Mike. My husband's parents were both elementary school teachers, but for the most part were from a rather average but large family with many children . We've worked and continue to help with the quality of life for many immediate and some extended family members over time. There is a large circle of extended family now too, some who have improved their lot for themselves, and others who have not been so ambitious or fortunate etc. It is a tightrope and takes imagination to figure out how much to help and we really choose on a case to case basis. It's not  that we have a problem helping-- it's our choice, and not backbreaking at all, but it is a balancing act at times. Choosing to marry into a poorer family, and also choosing to live near them can  work out happily in many instances,  but can be trying sometimes in other.

A new phenomenon for us lately  though. is the opposite. Some family members who have become more successful financially, (rich wannabees) don't want anything to do with the poorer side of the family. They see my husband and I as "rich" or "desirable" relatives, and are lately trying to glom on to us and aggressively invite us for many social occasions  or" Facebook moments" I've always considered myself a rather humble person, and am much more comfortable and happy socializing with the poorer, more down to earth immediate members of our family. It can be tiring ducking these social climbers at times lately. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1