Lack of Privacy - Scary!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or make sure all your fun stuff is done with cash and nothing written down anywhere. :thumbsup:

That'll be me then :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I spend half my time on a Foodies Forum (Pampanga Foodies) on Facebook. If the FBI wants to know what I like on my burger they have all the information they need. 

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

If the FBI wants to know what I like on my burger they have all the information they need. 

It goes way beyond that.  They are collecting every little tidbit of data about you, and you probably agreed to it, and many don't really care.

So, we might not care, and then some how, we become victims of identity theft and we really don't know how it happened.  (that was me a few years ago).

And the reason this came up was because of the Facebook scandal.  Who knows where your data ends up!

http://time.com/5216291/facebook-cambridge-analytica-companies-advertising/

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

All hackers need is to get into the banks data to get all the info they need for identity theft. I have had this happen with Home Depot, Target and a couple of banks where I have an account. I don't put anything but the bare minimum of information on facebook, but yes we are all venerable. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Who knows where your data ends up!

:hystery: Well I reckon that Steve  Steve.jpg  buys a lot so he can see if we are telling him the Truth about our lives here :whistling: just Kidding you here My Friend, Hope things are not too stressful at this time for you 

***Sorry for the slight digression But.......... I am on my own here & well you know me :smile:***

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Almost 10 years ago I was on a forum and they were discussing online security and one guy said he was totally hidden - no one get his info.  Well, I am no hacker... but challenge accepted!  His Facebook security was pretty good, but his wife's was not.  Plus from many of the comments you see a lot.  Within 15 minutes I had a satellite pic of his house, the school, room number, and subject he taught. Half a dozen student names.  Oh, and his Amazon wish list ha ha.  I found so much, so easily it was almost scary.  I did not share the info on the forum but did tell everything that was out there, He accused me of lying, until I forwarded his house & school ID pic to him.  He was not appreciative of the heads up ha ha.

You can just imagine how much more info they have on us now.  My daughter laughs and says only old people are worried about privacy.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My daughter laughs and says only old people are worried about privacy.

True until the first time their boyfriend films "the act" on a hidden camera and posts it on line.  They they start screaming about their privacy.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

True until the first time their boyfriend films "the act" on a hidden camera and posts it on line.  They they start screaming about their privacy.

Don't think they are worried about being caught "in the act" rather that one of us old people would have a conversation with the boy friend.:angry_80_anim_gif:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

julian-assange-vs-mark-zuckerberg.jpg

• 3 months later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 3/30/2018 at 9:24 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

So do your browsers and most apps on your phone want access to everything. 

Here is how to avoid all this tracking nonsense: Fake your death. Use cash. Buy new laptop, then:

• Connect to the Internet only from public WiFi in small cafeterias and coffee shops, since these are not likely to log traffic. Go every time in a different cafeteria or coffee shop.
  • Change your MAC address to a realistic one
  • Use TOR to reach a VPN service, and access the Internet from there
  • Pay the VPN service with bitcoins, and earn the bitcoins to pay it online. Don't deposit real money, offer online services (anonymously) to be paid in bitcoins: your bitcoins transactions should look like they have nothing to do with you
  • When you are visiting the VPN service for the first time, do it from TOR. Never use a normal browser

This will render you invisible to the vast majority of trackers!

• Like 1