Baguio / Nrthn Luzon Where & How?

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

About to come back to Phils for our yearly visit (even tho it's been two years) and will be spending 13 days in Southern Leyte for the fiesta, wife's school reunion and generally being bled dry by the family  . 

All good so far, but we have about 5 days at the end of the trip and wife suggested we go to Baguio.... how do we get there from Manila, bus, plane, car/driver?

Also once there, good places to stay ....I sorta really want to be seaside if possible and Baguio seems a little inland for my liking ...  any suggestion of somewhere nearby Baguio we can lay our hat for a few days while exploring the region would be helpful from those that have trodden before us. Or even if someone  wants to suggest somewhere separate to Baguio, more than happy to hear about it. Have been to Angeles (as a single) and Subic (with GF now wife) previously, but not much further.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A lot of people like Victory Liner to get from Manila to Baguio.  They have a deluxe bus with 3 across airline type seating.  I heard that they have direct service Baguio to NAIA now too, but I don't know for sure.  In any case, make sure you get on an Express bus because some of the buses go town to town and take all day.

I can't offer advice on places to stay as we stay with relatives.  You might check Air Bnb.

Taxis are good for getting around in Baguio but the traffic is really bad lately.

Most people go to Baguio to enjoy the cooler weather.

• Like 2

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay ..... how long does the direct service take?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Paul_QLD said:

I sorta really want to be seaside if possible and Baguio seems a little inland for my liking ...  any suggestion of somewhere nearby Baguio we can lay our hat for a few days

I have not been to this place, so all I can tell you is it sounds great, but I have heard so much about the following area that it is on my bucket list and to my thinking, takes as long to get there as to Baguio.  AND its definitely not inland.

Its called Hundred Islands and you can click on here for the link

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We stopped at the hundred islands on the way up to Vigan. Nice area but would only stay the one day to do the boat tour.

• Thanks 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

Safari Lodge Baguio is a nice place to stay.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

We stopped at the hundred islands on the way up to Vigan. Nice area but would only stay the one day to do the boat tour.

I think you can do 100 Islands as a day trip from Baguio if you get up early and have a hired car and driver.  My BIL did it in one day.

• Thanks 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Baguio  is a beautiful place.  I've taken the Victory liner there but if you only have a few days to spend there I would recommend hiring a driver with a car that is familiar with the area.  That way you get a tour guide as well.  There's so many neat places to visit but definitely hit the botanical gardens, mines view, Buddhist temple, camp John hay and Prayer mountain if your wife is religious.I

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Victory Liner from Manila, about 5 hours non stop, air con, cr, and airlpane seats on board. Microtel is a half block from bus station and is very ok. Beaches in La Union and San Juan are about an hour away by bus, very nice beaches along the coast there. Fun day trip.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Victory Liner is the best way to travel by bus from Manila to Baguio. The deluxe bus runs 3 or 4 times a day and is non stop, takes 4-5 hours depending on time of day. The regular bus takes 7 -8 hours and makes several stops. If it is holy week it may be much harder to get on a bus. Try to book the deluxe bus online ahead of time.

Check out Burnham Park, Session Rd and the central city market in the downtown area. A great place to eat for filipino food is Good Taste. Check out the Ben Cab museum which has both art and historical artifacts plus an eco area. It has a nice small restaurant where you can get coffee and turon. Don't forget the Strawberry fields in La Trinadad. If you like country music there are some country music bars with bands in Baguio. La Trinadad is known as the country music capital of the Philippines.

The expat hangout is the Red Lion Pub on Leonardwood Rd across from Teachers Camp.

On the way up to Baguio on Marcos Highway there is a resort called Pugad that is great for a day trip. Zipline, ATV's, shooting range, swimming, etc. Bring your picnic lunch and rent a nipa hut.

I agree that it would be easier to hire a car and driver for the day. Just ask at your hotel.

• Like 4