Philippine Airlines - A Small Rant!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm pretty much a Cebu Pacific customer now.

Although it might cost a bit more Singapore airlines is what I always choose from or back to Australia. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just to add my 2 centavos worth... I have flown many times on PhilAir... I have had virtually zero problems...

Online booking was fine - sometimes slow, but it all worked with no changes.

There have been a few minor delays at airports and I think that just happens...

The "snack" on short trips is a joke... The international trips offered, what I thought was reasonable for airline food... Not restaurant quality, but sustained me and I didn't get sick.

International flights always have free alcohol and other drinks... Tip: if you want a gin and tonic, ask for two bottles of the gin and the whole can of tonic... They always have been fine with that. Then I have wine with the dinners too - at least two of their little bottles...

Some of their flight schedules have e-mailed me with "offers" to upgrade to business class if I made an offer. I have done this a few times and failed when offering the lowest bid, but getting the upgrade with a low but apparently acceptable bid.  For L and I, the upgrade on a flight to Taipei and return made it wonderful and memorable... decent food, wonderful service and, of course, all the free drinks...

Most of the flight attendants were rather sexy... but the gays didn't do anything for me......

I hated Cebu... they seemed to offer cheaper flights than others, but then nick you with extra fees for everything else... 

Everyone has their own experiences and opinions... I am just offering mine here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just to add my 2 centavos worth... I have flown many times on PhilAir... I have had virtually zero problems...

I have only used them for short domestic flights and the actual flights have been fine.  It is the pre-flight shenanigans that are driving me nuts!

This will be our first Int'l flight with them.  Last time we went to NZ and flew on Singapore Air.  Singapore Air was good but it is a really long flight connecting via Singapore, and on the way back we had a long layover, so we booked a room at the airport hotel to rest.  That was ok but the cost was a lot higher.  We only had 4 tickets then and now our family is 5.

PAL is non-stop, about 10 hours, I think, so we wanted to try it.  We also are considering PAL for the U.S. next year as they have a non-stop to LAX.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

PAL is non-stop, about 10 hours, I think, so we wanted to try it.  We also are considering PAL for the U.S. next year as they have a non-stop to LAX.

I have flown to USA via PAL and had nice flights (same thing - free drinks, reasonable food and usually pretty flight attendants!). No problems with booking or seats...

Because I am tall, I always upgrade my seat to, at least, Premium Economy or whatever they call it - name changes often... I need the legroom because I really don't like sitting with my knees touching my chin. I don't sleep well on planes so I just try to get the most comfortable seat I can find without paying the ridiculous business class price... 

I used to fly Delta because it was the best connection to Seattle from the South Pacific. It always involved a stop in Japan at Nayrit. Not so bad airport, and I also paid something - maybe $50? - to be able to relax in the Delta lounge. It was sooo worth the money because I always plan at least 4-6 hours or more between flights so I don't have to run around and be worried. Free drinks, free food and mostly quiet. Showers are also available.

I bring a book or make sure the cell phone is charged and then drink, munch, read, play and maybe nap a bit. It is really nice to break up that long trip of 12-14 hours, even though it ain't cheap to do it...

I guess we all have different experiences at different times with different airlines?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I guess we all have different experiences at different times with different airlines?

True

The passengers on flight MH370 did. :unsure:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

True

The passengers on flight MH370 did. :unsure:

I was in KL and had 4 meetings the day after it went missing, first 3 meetings everyone knew someone on board. I cancelled the 4th meeting and went to the pub!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, OnMyWay said:

These friggin airlines just can't stop making booking and flying miserable, chasing the almighty buck.  PAL now has at least half their economy seats on this flight marked as a premium seat.  Aisle seat, +$10.  First 5 rows of economy for those idiots who stand while the plane is still taxiing, +$30.  Any seat with more legroom, +$60.  I had all 6 of us in row 53, so I had to pay for 3 aisle seat both ways = $60.

PAL rant continued!....

They raised the price of all these premium seats.  Aisle seat $15, first 5 rows $40, more legroom $70.  I looked at the flight in 2 days on the 19th, MNL-AKL.  Look at the picture.  The gray seats are booked.  The blue seats are available.  The premium seats are available and everyone has booked the middle seats and window seats that are still "free"!

Screenshot (545).png

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2019 at 1:12 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although it might cost a bit more Singapore airlines is what I always choose from or back to Australia. 

I've used Singapore Airlines in the past (and they've always been easy to deal with and good staff) but that transfer via Changi adds 4 hours extra flying plus the wait time at Changi.  So at least 6 hours extra time because they don't fly direct to Manila from Melbourne.  I would definitely use them to fly to Singapore though.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I've used Singapore Airlines in the past (and they've always been easy to deal with and good staff) but that transfer via Changi adds 4 hours extra flying plus the wait time at Changi.  So at least 6 hours extra time because they don't fly direct to Manila from Melbourne.  I would definitely use them to fly to Singapore though.

Yes, we used Singapore to Auckland 3 years ago and got a decent price.  However, we had to book a room because the shortest layover was 8 hours back then.  Now they have a short layover but the economy price is DOUBLE what I am paying on PAL non-stop.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, Tommy T. said:

Because I am tall, I always upgrade my seat to, at least, Premium Economy or whatever they call it - name changes often... I need the legroom because I really don't like sitting with my knees touching my chin. I don't sleep well on planes so I just try to get the most comfortable seat I can find without paying the ridiculous business class price... 

Have you ever used Seat Guru?  Great website for us tall folks!  This link is for the A330-300 Layout 2 that we will be on, direct MNL-AKL.  Economy seat pitch is 34 and width 18, which is not bad compared to others.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Philippine_Airlines/Philippine_Airlines_Airbus_A330_V3.php

If you go to Comparison Charts you can see the seat sizes and amenities, by class.  One that same aircraft, Premium Economy is 38 and 19.5.  These days, Premium Economy is out of my reach on most airlines.  On this PAL flight to Auckland, it is 2 to 3 times more than economy.

• Thanks 2